What are the Challenges of Testing Process?
This post talks about Challenges in Testing, Challenges in Testing world, Automated Testing challenges, Frequently faced challenges in automation, different Software Testing challenges, QA challenges, DevOps Testing issues, Challenges in DevOps Testing,
Top challenges in Testing, Top challenges in the Testing process.
Introduction to Testing
Today’s world is very fast. A user of software wants their requirements to be implemented as a live product as soon as the requirements get fixed. And being in agile we are working towards that only. Our motto is to deliver as fast as possible. It means development, testing, deployment, bug fix and push to production should happen rapidly.
But the speed of the delivery brings a few side effects. The worst side effect is the bug.No user or customer wants a buggy software or an app. On the other hand, a bug-free software brings happiness and satisfaction to the customer.
In recent migration from Waterfall to Agile to DevOps, the test team is seen as an integrated team of developers. A successful development can only happen if and only if Strong and clear requirements, practical deadlines, sufficient testing, firm prerequisites and great correspondence occurs.No developers want a bad piece of code to go to production or no tester wants to leave a bug in the system.
What happens if we do not have a Test team?
If we do not have a proper test team in place, the developer or the customer has to do testing at least for the happy paths. As a result, we may face the below issues:
- Failures in the rainy path.
- Financial losses.
- Unhappy and unsatisfied customer.
- Overall project failure.
So we need to have formal test experts to test our product or app. However after several rounds of testing if we do not get any bug that does not mean that there is no bug present. It just ensures that we have covered all possible paths. There could be another path by which a bug can just show up. So engaging a specialized test team we ensure that the maximum possible paths are covered. This is an important factor for Challenges in Testing or Software Testing challenges.
Unidentified bugs are the biggest worry in the software field.
Why there are issues in the Testing area?
Current testing process of most companies has several factors which contribute to the issues of the testing area. They are as follows:
- Current testing process is hugely ad hoc
- Testing is expensive
- It is majorly uncertain and unclear
- Testing is a thankless activity.
- It depends on individual tester’s capability
- Testing is governed by the test company’s rules and regulations.
As we have these factors present in the testing area, we are experiencing different issues in testing.
For an external entity of testing, the testing is a procedure to check or test if an application is working impeccably or not. If you do address get the bug report accurately.
well that is your day to day activity!!! be that as it may, then again because of time weight on some other variables, if there exists a bug in the application. well testers have done nothing.
Surely this mindset and process contributes to Challenges in Testing (Software Testing challenges) as well as contributes to Automated Testing challenges.
What this post will cover?
Manual and test automation goes through many difficulties. So here we run with the best difficulties. This post will show the possible issues of the testing area (Software Testing challenges) and how to resolve them.
The vast majority of the association’s reward analyzers dependent on various bugs. Truly, even I got a few prizes. I concur this inspires us to work with the application yet objective signs of progress toward becoming finding simple bugs those don’t require profound comprehension and testing.
A hard or subtle bug remains uncaught such an approach. At the point when the manual testing objective is to discover new bugs, computerization is stated there is no such bug found in the other piece of the application. In any case, we need to recall that computerization isn’t generally to keep up 100% pass or mechanization is just about a quicker method for testing.
In regression testing, we check if the new code push has not broken any current functionalities. Automation has its difficulties like screen changes, the impact of changes in the GUI, Object portrayal and so on. In this way, returning to the point, mechanization may get 98% pass yet at the same time, manual testing will get more bugs. Be that as it may, that does not imply that the robotization is pointless. In any case, to get steady robotization, contents should be refreshed intermittently. If not, it might cause a pesticide oddity impact. Tests won’t probably catch bugs. We neglect to overhaul contents.
The major shift in Test Objective or pesticide paradox happens when the requirements keep changing at very fast mode. That results in the Software Testing challenges.
Challenges in Testing
The main problems of testing can be categorized as
- Process related problems
- Time-related problems
- Technology-related problems
- People related problems
All these problems can add Automated Testing challenges, Software Testing challenges, DevOps Testing issues and Top challenges in Testing. I will explain them in a little while.
- CRs-Change Requests
- Modification for the CRs
- Execution for the prior test cases are very high
- delay in bug verification
- Inconsistent bug reporting
- Testing in the different platform is time taking
All these problems can add Automated Testing challenges, Software Testing challenges, DevOps Testing issues and Top challenges in Testing. I will explain them in a little while.
- The process becomes very much time consuming
- Turn around time (TAT) become high
- Peer checking eats up the time
- The testing window is very short
All these problems can add Automated Testing challenges, Software Testing challenges, DevOps Testing issues and Top challenges in Testing. I will explain them in a little while.
- Less technical support
- Risk is very high
- Due to this less productivity
All these problems can add Automated Testing challenges, Software Testing challenges, DevOps Testing issues and Top challenges in Testing.I will explain them in a little while.
- Not everyone is equally knowledged with and about the application
- Conflict of interest
- Prone to error is high
All these problems can add Automated Testing challenges, Software Testing challenges, DevOps Testing issues and Top challenges in Testing.I will explain them in a little while.
So if we make a fishbone for the manual insufficient testing this will look like the following-
|A fish bone of Challenges of Testing Process|
So based on this scenario if somebody conclude test engineers only tests the new scenario or 80% of the effort must go to the testing process of new feature and regression should be based on sanity. Will that work???
No…the regression might produce some more bug.Or due to fix of a bug might discover the hiding bug.Remember the cost of bug…
|Cost of bug|
The factors affecting testing process
Inadequate time to test the whole UAT Challenges in Testing world:
This is an important factor for Challenges in Testing(Software Testing challenges).There could be several factors due to which project development may get delayed.in the followup there is often a tendency to cut short the post-development activities. The first one to target is testing!!.Indeed, this is a mystery, I would state. The truth is different.
The testing process, be it is automation or be it is manual, constantly given least need as far as time distribution is concerned in a project planning. I have seen tasks getting postponed by development group because of poor coding, lots of bugs logged but toward the finish of the fault went to the testing group for not guaranteeing the assemble right time.
No tester can test an application start to finish in the present testing time allotment. Best practice says 40% time of the improvement time is dispensed to testing. Yet, that isn’t sufficient to test the total bit of Product.
40% standard time might be appropriate for little application however for long ventures with heaps of relapse may require more than or break even with time like advancement. However, till the time individuals comprehend this law, analyzers are troubled with the time factor.
The time factor is a crucial factor and lack of it adds Challenges in Testing(Software Testing challenges).
Why it is not possible to test the whole bit of a product?
A full phased product has many modules, sub modules. Each module will contribute numerous amount of test conditions.To document all test conditions and execute manually is a tedious job. Automation also needs to develop all these flows. Which is a impossible task too. This contributes to Automated Testing challenges.
This prime factor prompts another testing disorder Priority issue. Test engineers get genuine perplexity which experiments to pick and what to run. The situation deteriorates when there is a ton of relapse.
The schedule is unrealistic.Sometimes the managers just give the date to get the project or the task.(I understand their pain) again sometimes the technological difference between the resources and managers create this problem. During Cross-functional working the problem goes high.The other manager does not understand the pain what other track’s resources are going through.
Problem with this approach
Then again, if test engineers are going to take additional time, it might defer the time to market of a product. The testing procedure goes for a hurl when it is said to test the total application inside a small time span. Additionally, many automation builds(like we do in CICD build pipeline) isn’t great. It frequently prompts a different input circumstance due to which the primary target of the testing is moved.
The new way to go is via Agile methodology or extreme programming. These give adaptability for an organization to dispatch it’s item quicker in the market. The drawback of this, testing turn out to be exorbitant and even a miss is costlier.
Quality takes a major hit during such planing.It puts immense pressure on the testing tea,. That results a poor quality testing or leads to risk-based testing. This may lead to a situation to test some aspect and some aspect remains untested.
What to do when we have less time?
Since it’s once in a while conceivable to test every possible part of an application, every possible blend of events, each reliance, or everything that could turn out badly, risk examination is suitable to most programming advancement ventures. Use risk investigation to figure out where testing ought to be engaged. This requires judgment aptitudes, presence of mind and experience.
The risk-based test cases should be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Which functionality is most essential to the project for the scope?
- And which functionality is most obvious to the client?
- Which functionality has the biggest well-being impact?
- Also which functionality has the biggest money related effect on clients?
- Which parts of the application are most critical to the client?
- And which parts of the application can be tried right off the bat in the advancement cycle?
Which parts of the code are most intricate and subsequently most subject to error or defect?
- Also which parts of the application were created in surge or frenzy mode?
- Which parts of comparable/related past ventures caused issues?
- Then which parts of comparative/related past tasks had vast upkeep costs?
- Which parts of the prerequisites and configuration are hazy or half-baked?
- What do the designers believe are the most noteworthy risky parts of the application?
- And what sorts of issues would cause the most noticeably awful attention?
- What sorts of issues would cause the most client administration grumblings?
- Then what sorts of tests could without much of a stretch spread various functionalities?
- Which tests will have the best high-chance inclusion to time-required proportion?
Once we create test set covering all these points, we can say the risk-based testing is over. Risk-based testing is no substitute for actual testing. It is just a quick check. As it is a prime factor for Automated Testing challenges(Software Testing challenges), we need to be careful.
How to solve?
- We need to migrate to a CICD pipeline or a DevOps technology in order to support agility. Ordinarily, we do Risk-based testing.
- Always check for schedule plan of the deliverable. If we lag somewhere, we need to discuss the same with scrum master along with the team.
- If it is a nonagile-, we need to keep other manager informed.
- Just providing information is not enough. Since the schedule is going towards red, we need to provide a go-to green plan as well.
- In the traditional waterfall model, we can use the responsibility matrics to figure out the deficit so that we can work on them. But in agile, we need to take risk-based testing and put everything in the backlog. Backlog needs to be flushed as soon as possible.
The timing ,scheduling and backlog clearing plan needs to be created very carefully along with all team members. Risk is the ultimate priority. High risk areas needs to be tested before any release and comparatively, low-risk area can be taken up in subsequent release or sprints.
Poorly written requirements-Challenges in Testing world
This is an important factor for Challenges in Testing. Requirements are poorly written when requirements are unclear, incomplete, too general, or not testable; therefore there will be problems. Sometimes the requirement was not written always. In a meeting, the customer just says the requirement.
Requirement details are critical and a standout among the most dependable techniques for protecting issues in a mind-blowing programming venture is to have ineffectively reported prerequisite particulars. Prerequisites are the subtleties depicting an application’s remotely seen usefulness and properties.
Clients could be in-house or outside and could incorporate end-clients, client acknowledgment test engineers, analyzers, client contract officers, client the board, future programming upkeep engineers, sales reps and any individual who could later crash the undertaking. If his/her desires aren’t met, they ought to be incorporated as a client, if conceivable.
In a few associations, prerequisites may finish up in abnormal state venture designs, practical determination reports, structure records, or different archives at different dimensions of detail. Regardless of what they are called, some sort of documentation with itemized necessities will be required by test builds to appropriately design and execute tests. Without such documentation, there will be no obvious method to decide whether a product application is performing accurately.
All reports ought to be kept in touch with a specific standard and format. Principles and formats keep up report consistency. It likewise helps in realizing where data is found, making it less demanding for a client to discover what they need. Ultimately, with principles and layouts, data won’t be coincidentally overlooked from a record.
So overall requirements are more to do with non-agile projects where clients or business analysts can not come up with clear requirements. In an agile way of development, requirements get clarified during story grooming sessions. (Agile also faces requirement detailing issue though!!)
Lack of requirements contributes more Challenges in Testing (Software Testing challenges) and Automated Testing challenges.
Bad requirements can be broken down into 4 different segments:
- Under specifications- resulting in incomplete or vague description.
- Incorrect specifications
- Inappropriate techniques used for description.
- Over specification
It is the most common type of requirement error. The common form is to omit important alternative flows. Alternative flows describe error handling and alternate behavior paths.
Failing to identify important alternative flows results in the system failing to handle important exceptions or errors conditions.
If an alternate flow is not described, we have to assume that the system does not support the alternate behavior.
Another important aspect is the lazy description. The problem here, the requirement owner thinks that the reader is having full knowledge about the requirements. Now each reader translates this requirement as per their understanding and try to derive something which may /may not correct.
A common problem is that most of the teams barely have enough time to specify requirements in the first place.
An incorrect spelling, a semicolon mistake may completely change the meaning of a sentence. It is seen a small incorrect specification may screw up a whole code base as the meaning of the sentence was interpreted differently.
In the agile world, over specifications are very rare but it is there.Even over specification can ruin the system. It starts with a good intention but end up with failures. Over specification provides too many details that tend to treat the symptoms. without going to the root causes of the problem the system needs to solve.
Design an user interface is often a tough job.most users are not very experienced with this.Even though it may seem harmless initially but later proved to be impractical.
Second area could be to provide implementation details to the world. There would be too much descriptions. If we start providing implementation details in requirement space, that may lead to leak of the implementation details. Crazy stuff.
Another aspect of information happens when we develop different features in different phases of stories. Say, while working with a banking application,the user might have billing address, shipping address, debit/credit card related information,several other products information.
So preparing requirement for such customer with different information in different phases will create huge confusion as and when the new requirement comes in. It is very tough for anybody to visualize and then come up with test cases. It may so happen they may create many duplicate test cases covering the same functionality.
I have seen in a few stories where they use third party names. Like
Priyanka should be able to enter details
A test engineer derived a test case from it as follows:
- User should be able to login to the application
- User should be able to provide Priyanka’s details into the application.
A miss in the understanding right?
How to resolve?
In writing requirements, precision is required and this requires precision in the language used. Mostly we want to ensure that everyone has the same understanding and we want to understand when we have active discussions about the requirement.
The best way to mitigate is to have open communications approach instead of writing some requirement and throw them to developers and testers, encourage them to participate in requirement discussion.
In the agile world, open communication and discussion matter more than writing requirements or documentation.
Incorrect specifications can be avoided with peer review of the documents(It is a labor-intensive process though) or an open discussion(time taking process). But unfortunately, these are the two ways available to rectify this sort of issues.
To avoid timing issues,we can take at-least the high important test cases.(Something reviewed instead of none).
Second important process should be to involve everybody during story/requirement review time.An open discussion will bring down these issues.Reviewing the requirements in a passive mode can also resolve the issues.
Another successful approach is to use storyboards(informal sketches of the user interface, but not full-fledged prototypes)
To treat over specification, the best approach will be to employ an experienced in human factors and user interface design and engage them as part of the team. This team will include the users,developers, testers. By using the iterative model, iterative model of discussion, the team should make sure what is the best way to represent information.
Again a storyboard,outline of the use-case can be very good concept. We need to make sure that we are not stressing much on putting too much details about UI into use case description.
Use keywords like depends on,contains etc to shorten but meaningful representation. Use of proper wording can be one more mitigation plan. So it is best to use “User” instead of Priyanka in the story.
Putting a glossary can help in this situation. After putting glossary , we just need to link different definitions.
- A high quality prototype(like real application) may reduce rapid feedback.
- Too good prototypes will make the stakeholders mumps. So a draft outline is sufficient.
Lets start the feedback sessions early and have a lot of them. Quick 5-10 minutes session on a particular requirement often works better than huge 2-3 hours or full-day session.
It is equivalent to continuous improvement rather than waterfall model of feedback.
Below are some tips and tricks:
- Collect all the documents and try to go through it to understand the goal of the requirements.
- Join regular calls along with the development team to understand the requirements better.
- Voice out if you understood a piece of the requirement differently.
- Understand the dependencies for the requirement. It will help you to test further in a speedy manner.
- Prepare a requirement document or a story grooming documentation and get it verified by teams.
- Remember information is king. You have to transform the available documents as a gold mine for the same.
- Need an algorithm with an application if possible.
- Define the terms used. Add glossary at the end.
What can be done if requirements are changing continuously?
- Work with the executives to see how prerequisites may change, so exchange test designs and procedures can be worked out ahead of time. It is useful if the application’s underlying plan takes into consideration some versatility, with the goal that later changes don’t require re-trying the application starting with no outside help. Furthermore, attempt to guarantee the code is very much remarked with documentation and all around archived; this makes changes simpler for the designers.
- Structure some adaptability into experiments; this isn’t done; the best wager is to limit the detail in the experiments, or set up just more elevated amount conventional sort test designs.
Concentrate less on point by point test designs and experiments and more on specially appointed testing with a comprehension of the additional hazard this involves.
- Utilize quick prototyping at whatever point conceivable; this will enable clients to feel beyond any doubt of their prerequisites and limit changes.
- In the project’s underlying timetable, consider some additional opportunity to similar with plausible changes.
- Move new requirements to a ‘Stage 2’ form of an application and utilize the first prerequisites for the ‘Stage 1’ rendition.
- Consult to permit just effectively executed new prerequisites into the venture; move increasingly troublesome, new necessities into future variants of the application.
Guarantee clients and the board management about the scheduling impacts, natural dangers, and expenses of noteworthy prerequisites changes. At that point let administration or the clients choose if the progressions are justified.
- Concentrate beginning computerized testing on application angles that are well on the way to stay unaltered.
- Dedicate suitable exertion to the chance examination of changes, to limit relapse testing needs.
- Equalization the exertion put into setting up computerized or robotized or automated testing with the normal exertion required to re-try them to manage changes.
- Plan some adaptability into computerized or automated test contents.
- Communication plays a great role to clear some doubts. Do not hesitate to call up and discuss the grey areas. Communication can be of any type vertical,horizontal,upwards and downwards.
- Once you get clarity correct the document and arrange for meeting to keep everybody on the same page.
What if the application has functionality that was not in the requirements?
It might require genuine effort to decide whether an application has critical startling or concealed functionalities, which would show further issues in the product improvement process.
On the off chance that the functionality isn’t important to the reason for the application, it ought to be evacuated, as it might have obscure effects or conditions that were not considered by the creator of the client.If not expelled, structure data will be expected to decide included testing needs or relapse testing needs. The executives ought to be made mindful of any critical included dangers because of the sudden usefulness.
On the off chance that the user just influences regions, for example, minor upgrades in the UI, it may not be a noteworthy hazard.
An issue in Software Testing challenges or DevOps Testing issues right?
Error in Implementation or tester’s miss:: role of tractability metrics
These are very frequent causing issues with agile development. In such case the concept and specification were right but the implementation was wrong.
It may be get caught during testing phase. It is easy to conclude that this is not requirement problem.But that is not sufficient. Right?In the first place there is no point of writing a requirement which is not useful at all.
Every requirement should have corresponding design doc and testcases to check it correctly. Traceability is very important. If we are not going to implement them correctly, there is no point to jot down the requirements. The traceability reduces the overhead of requirement testing.
Failure to test requirements usually arises from a resource problem. There are not enough people to test. There are not enough people to test the requirement.This situation is often referred as a dysfunctional function of an organization. The team members should come out of the mode to give support to testing.
They must not become functional silo in their act. At the same time, management must not reduce test engineers and depends on the development team to carry out testing.
Traceability of requirement to test cases to code to test script ensures that each requirement which does not have a single focus in the code(Kind of performance-related test cases).Tracking down such kind of requirement is best suited when tested pre-production with proper tools or in production.
So mostly requirement tracking goes wrong due to misunderstanding or miscommunication. They can easily be rectified through frequent and open feedback between members of the extended team(Including subject matter experts).
Finally, requirements must be tested and testing is the only reliable way to know if a requirement was satisfied. Every requirement should have one or more tests to cover. There should not be any test exists that did not derive from requirements(unless we have made an explicit decision that the test case and requirement are the same).
Know the Expectation-Top challenges in Testing
Often it is seen, that the teams use their guidelines set up by the present company or use their own methodology to cope with with the testing tasks. This is an factor for Challenges in Testing.Testers often don’t know
- The big picture
- The customer
- The customers of the customers
- Expectation of the customer
Due to shorter time available to testing team they so all shorts of shortcuts to catch up the delivery date. These methods works fit for all project scenarios. But they fail to deliver on the specific project.It contributes to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve this?
- Know the expectation and end-user requirements. These will help us to deliver a smooth and speedy delivery.
- Know why this part of the software is getting developed.
- Understand the big picture where and when this piece needs to be pushed.
- Think from end user perspective.
- Try to add more creativity in terms of innovations that suit the testing process.
- Thinking out of the box often creates a more satisfied customer.
- Follow market trends in order to catch more bugs.
- Upgrade testing process if required.
Report misleading tool-Top challenges in Testing
This is a major factor for Challenges in Testing.We choose to make report fabricated or created from the actual outcome. The masked report provides a false happiness to the stakeholders but puts more burden on the testing team.
I have seen this type of report masking behavior in automation resulting Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- Try to provide an actual report and be prepare for a firefight.
- Prepare several matrices like bug found,bug fixed, open issues, project health, etc.
- Use Jenkins or any other CD-CT-CI tools report as proof.
- Do not mask report. Instead, track all failures as a bug.
- A working demo at a regular interval will surely boost stakeholder’s confidence.
Lack of Resources or Experienced Resources-Top challenges in Testing
This is very common in the testing industry today.When it is ideal to have experienced resources to carry forward testing,in reality we get more inexperienced, freshers for the testing. These inexperienced resources create more noise in testing than bug identification or delivery . Lack of education in the testing area is the prime concern for Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- We need to create required matrices like knowledge obtained, knowledge needed etc for the test engineers. Then create a proper plan to upgrade testers.
- We have to bring everybody on the same page by creating FAQ pages for the process, people, customer, business, etc.
- We need to use a balanced approach while distributing the team. A team should be a mixture of experienced and fresh. You can use a ration of 1:3.
- We need to create backup plans for everybody.
- And we need to create a mentorship program to bring a new resource up to the speed.
- We need to bring dynamic load balancing while testing work is in progress.
Lack of starter kit-Top challenges in Testing
When a new resource joins a project, the person loses huge time in background verification checks, access-related issues or other pre-on-board details. It is directly related to productivity loss, impacts billing and finally impacts the delivery timeline. yes, it is also an important aspect of Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to Solve?
Prepare a starter kit may be documentation that provides the FAQ, step by step guides to get all the things a tester needs to settle down and start testing. From my experience, I have seen that having a starter kit reduces resource deployment time by 50%.
Lack of Mentor-ship and pep talk-Top challenges in Testing
Ego plays a major role in affecting the team bonding. As a lead or manager we often neglect to talk to the resource who is actually working(actually earning). It is seen from my experience while boosting morale by mentoring resources and providing a pep talk, resource felt values.
They produce a better result. We need to understand they are the one who earns money for us. Hence the best way to omit ego is to provide importance to the team. Unfortunately, it is not there in most of the teams.
It contributes to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to solve this?
- We need to create an open and friendly environment inside the team.
- Then we need to motivate , encourage and provide responsibilities to those resources so that they can grow more.
- And also need to provide constructive criticism and development plans along with achievable goals to the individuals.
- Reward and recognize the deserved one.
Procedures of a Company
No proper plan in place-Top challenges in Testing
Often we see the management take reference from an old plan to save time while creating a new plan for the new customer. As a result the new plan contains lots of outdated topics that needs to be covered. These topics are unnecessary and create lots of noise during delivery and throughout the testing process.
As automation has to do more than traditional QA, planning is extremely important and lack of that contributes to Automated Testing challenges.(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- I am not against the idea of referencing an old template but we need to periodically update as per project need and latest market trends. All the excess baggage of any organization needs to omit.
- We need to create a solid knowledge transition plan from different stakeholders that need to smooth.
- We need to create a plan for designing, development, test case preparation, test data acquisition, test execution, leverage of automation, bug fixes, etc.
- Our plan must include the requirement vs developed vs tested tractability.
- It is always better to use Jira,ALM, OTM or other test management tool instead of traditional Excel.
Attrition/Team Change/Project change-Top challenges in Testing
Expanding compensations and advantages making numerous representatives leave the organization at short vocation interim. The executives are confronting difficult issues to adapt to the wearing down rate.
Difficulties – New test engineers require venture preparing from the earliest starting point, complex undertakings are hard to comprehend, delay in delivery date!
These are some best programming testing difficulties we face day by day. Task achievement or disappointment depends generally on how you address these essential issues.
I think this aspect contributes to all areas and a major contributor to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
Lack of Training-(DevOps Testing issues/QA challenges)
The expertise of Test engineers turns out to be imperative when we talk about effective testing. Beginning from prerequisite examination to experiment creating to bug logging to client confronting, Test engineers play a more prominent job. So while enlisting a test engineer, the executives ought to be extremely clear about the range of abilities they need and the range of abilities the individual is having who is getting selected.
Regularly this area makes a great deal of vagueness between the groups. Regardless of whether to end up an effective test engineer one need a decent comprehension of the usefulness of an application, innovation, correspondence expertise, prerequisite comprehension for a superior arrangement. As I said test engineers have an immense job to display the testing procedure, all these ability matters.
Get ISTQB certification guideline to become a certified Tester.
Testing is not natural instinct. Hence a tester needs time to learn these testing techniques.Management and testers hardly know the new trend in the industry. This results a lack of testing knowledge in the budding experts and results in Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- Encourage test engineers to opt for quality testing related to new letters.
- Prompt organizations to organize for formal training on testing for testers.
- Make sure test engineers go for certifications.
- Encourage test engineers to attend testing conference.
- Prompt organization to spend money on online libraries to educate testers.
Tendency to test only happy path-Software Testing challenges:
Software testing is inadequate if none knows whether or not the software is any good until customers complain or the system crashes. Nobody understands 100% testing is not possible.Nobody can predict that there is no bug in the system.We should not only consider the happy path while testing even if in a time crunch situation.
It is also seen in agile-based automation testing world resulting Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
This is one of the contributing points which prompts test engineer’s disarray. I have worked in an organization where few arrangements of experiments need to include before you begin your genuine testing. Individuals as me didn’t comprehend why this should have been finished.
The wrong process to milk customer
No significance of these yet at the same time need to join to show up the Test case number tally. Truly, you read it accurately, just to show up the number of experiments a couple of additional tests dependably there in the report, brought about the pass rate high. This helped the group to charge more to the client. (A wrong approach that earned cash).
The bad knowledge transfer agreement
Putting every one of these cases brought about the postponement in the testing procedure. The lack of information on the application(KT) is likewise a sub supporter of this classification. Then again, the development group can likewise postpone the procedure. According to the association, a bug must be logged according to Company explicit template.
Wrong process agreement about bug
Even if the development group knew the deformity, they just purchase time by sending the bug for revise in documentation section!!!. After finding the bug there are such huge numbers of documentation should be done, the testing procedure turns out to be slower.
Wrong automation scope agreement
Testing in Automation ought not to comprise just complex streams. It ought to incorporate straightforward streams like-limit or boundary testing, field-level validation and so forth. We by and large will, in general, miss this angle.
I have seen people going for test automation just because they want to go for this exciting buzzword. To be truthful, i have seen customers are going for this as they wants to certify their product as “Automation tested”.Now it is in the basket for the vendors.
there are two possible cases..
1. Vendors will automate by anyway.
2. They will leave some test cases as they are not automatable.
The second scenario will pathetic. They (the test cases which has been dropped by the vendor itself)will be skipped for every scenario / Releases. This contributes to Automated Testing challenges.
The wrong expectation set for client
The customer while has given the project said clearly that this has to be automated.The vendors/Testers took the project and billing the customer for automation.So in the former stage if it is said: “We are unable to automate!!!!!” This will create noise to customer end and the vendor may lose the project.On the other hand if that portion is skipped.This portion will be hidden to client.which is again detrimental to health for a customer in the later stage.
It is generally realized in the very end that automation has not given intended returns.I would suggest that before even thinking of Automation a thorough study of your application/system/module should be performed.The following types of test cases are preferred (but not limited to) choice for automation:
Tests that need to run for every build.In the time of regression the previous releases has to be run.
Tests that use multiple data values for the same action. This is popularly used, even data pumping is also an agenda for it.
Identical tests that need to be executed using different browsers The following types are not Browser Compatibility Testing.
No doubt this kind of approach will lead to a contribution to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
considered to be the good candidates for automation:
- Test Cases that will only be executed once. ….in the entire lifetime…I have seen printer testing/Even login functionality)
- Test Cases used for Ad-hoc/random Testing.
- And Test Cases that are infrequently selected for execution.
- Also, Test Cases that will require manual intervention ie a task not possible to automate.
Lack of Customer Engagement in Testing-Software Testing challenges
Lack of customer engagement also contributes to Challenges in Testing. Let’s see how it impacts…
The testing team is often not exposed to the customer. They if not an independent team stays under the shadow of the mainstream development team. The reports they produce often filtered by development managers just to show how good the software is or just to show that there is no bug in the system.
If they find some bugs, they hide both the bug and the test team from client. However when development team is engaged to fix the bug internally, testers feel that their words and concerns are unheard. This reduce the morale and enthusiasm in testing.
It is surely testing team job to find bugs from the system but a developer can not just throw away responsibilities of helping test team. They both need to take ownership and responsibilities for a quality work.
Well, automation also needs customer’s engagement. If not it faces the same issue as mentioned above resulting Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- We need to involve the customer and showcase testing reports.
- Then we must engage customer for clarification and feedback.
- We can engage UAT into testing team so that customer and test team can jointly work.
- Also can create awareness sessions where we a train a developer to become an effective tester.
However, we need to understand that UAT testers may only look after the straight cases but as a tester, we need to test as many paths as possible.
A communication issue-Software Testing challenges
This issue arises when there are no clear cut requirements. With the available resources, both testers and developers assume differently and proceed. This creates communication issues.
Second major contributor in this space is the organization itself. Managers tend to pick one-size-fit-for-all test strategy. Hence it lacks in project-specific details. This leads to inadequate testing and creates communication gap.
Test plans are often ignored about detailing. Test case description is generally taken as a replacement for a test plan. Significant testing is often postponed until development goes very deep.
Lack of communication or miscommunication adds up Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
The connection between Test Engineers and Developers-Software Testing challenges
Individuals state the connection between Test architects and development engineers is commonly awful. When I began my profession, I discovered a few cases that the Development group defer a procedure as I referenced.
In any case, for the most part, there is a battle mode or not debatable mode seen between themselves. Few white papers stated, Managers should support compelling testing by getting bug but, as a general rule, each manager takes his ground and spare his/her very own group.
It prompts a major battle. Correspondence between every one of the partners(we call them stakeholders) plays a very important role. This battle creates Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve a conflict with Developer?
We need to be diplomatically polite to start with. We also need to take the client into confidence. It is no doubt a skill. We need to be master here.
What if the software is so buggy it can’t be tested at all?
Buggy code is an added Challenges in Testing. In this circumstance, the best wager is to have test engineers experience the way toward detailing whatever bugs or issues at first appear, with the attention being on basic bugs.
Since this kind of issue can seriously influence plans and demonstrates further issues in the product improvement process, for example, deficient unit testing, lacking mix testing, poor structure, ill-advised form or discharge methods, directors ought to be informed and furnished with some documentation as proof of the issue.
What if the developer took Haphazard developmental method?
Haphazard development creates Challenges in Testing. Let us understand how-
Commonly, new features are added after development is underway. Miscommunication either means the developers don’t know what is needed, or customers have unrealistic expectations and therefore problems are guaranteed.
In these cases, we need to talk to all shareholders of the project to chalk out a plan about what features should go and what will be the release plan. We really can not afford to have haphazard development.
API Testing the most neglected but upcoming trend-Automated Testing challenges
New modern software developments are slowly moving towards service-oriented architecture operating out of cloud. As a result the developers exposes several APIs to the real world. It is extremely important to test these APIs.
But in real testing world,we hardly get persons experience in API testing domain. As a result we either fall back on the same developer to test or we create some half baked make shift arrangements to test. In both cases , real objective of API testing does not match.
Overall lack of API testing adds Challenges in Testing. Automation also has very less coverage on API. People mostly focus on functional testing contributing majorly on -Automated Testing challenges (DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges)..
How to resolve?
- No excuses, We need to hire API test experts.
- We need to train testers on API testing dedicatedly.
- Then we need to build an effective framework to support API testing
- We need to explore different tools that help API testing
- Lastly, we need to catch up the SOA testing trends.
Automation testing is not a buzzword-Automated Testing challenges
Below points will extensively talk about Automated Testing challenges.
Many organizations treat automation as a buzzword and consider the segment as white elephant. They are not all wrong, automation in the initial days yielded lower ROI than expected. Gone those days when automation used to be a selling point of any organization. Now a days automation is the must have feature of any organization to streamline their speedy delivery.
Should robotize the testing work? General reasoning about mechanization is that it is handled to record and play it back. The greater part of the computerization depends on organize based testing. Computerization is about record once and runs on numerous occasions.
Result !!!! less time for computerization.
But these individuals disregard the progression of Automation innovation. Mechanization isn’t about record and playback. There are a few different parameters should be dealt with. Till what level computerization ought to be finished? Do you have adequate and talented assets for Automation? Is time reasonable for computerizing the experiments?
There are situations when useful individuals give general cases to the automation group for regression testing. Having said that regularly changing necessities including User Interfaces, Business functionalities, and business condition are the practicality issue with Test Automation.
Test automation faces its issues other than functional related issue which adds Challenges in Testing(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
People’s perception about Automation Testing-Automated Testing challenges
Some managers thinks automation is an additional task just like testing a flow. And this can be done by manual resource only.Since they have procured an expensive tool,it is just a matter of record and playback. It is very easy and quick.
In reality it is the biggest myth about automation testing. Automation testers are the special group of people who needs to know coding, tool and system. They will also have a creative destruction mind. They know the design of an effective framework that actually simplify the testing process.
Similarly, the second myth in this space is that it is easy for a developer to pick up automation testing and finish. It is somewhat true but not completely. They know coding,system but they make lack in tool and tester’s mentality.
So this wrong perception will also create issue in testing and adds challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
Do automated testing tools make testing easier?
Indeed and no. For bigger projects or continuous long haul ventures, they can be profitable. Be that as it may, for little projects, the time expected to learn, create and execute them is generally not beneficial. A typical sort of computerized instrument is the record/playback type.
For instance, a test engineer navigates all blends of menu decisions, exchange box decisions, catches, and so forth in a GUI and has a computerized testing device record and log the outcomes.
One issue with such instruments is that if there are constant changes to the item being tried, the accounts must be changed so regularly that it turns into a very tedious assignment to ceaselessly refresh the contents.
Another issue with such apparatuses is the translation of the outcomes (screens, information, logs, and so forth.) that can be a tedious undertaking.
For these reasons, only procuring automation tool will not help test team rather adds challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
With the upgradation of technology, automation is no more a luxuary item. It is more than a necessity now. We need to use automation to test unmonitored or unmanned manner in test execution. W need to use smoke and regression testing technique before taking up a build for manual testing.
We need to remember that automation testing is :
If we can properly apply automation, it will reduce the turn around time and provides greater ROI.
No support for POC-Frequently faced challenges in automation
In a nutshell, no POC creates Challenges in Testing. To uptake a tool, we need to do POCs(proof of concepts) on multiple possible flows. These flows needs to be identified beforehand. We lag to identify the flows and it is seen that we heavily dependent on tool vendors to automate flows. Tool vendors on the other hand always choose some flows and automate. POCs from vendor looks so easy that we tend to buy that tool.
When I looked back and checked one of our previous decision, I realized we have not set up a dedicated team who can perform this task. The existing team, part from their regular deliverables , were given a task to evaluate a tool. Guess what happened next, they picked up some random flows which they felt they can complete within the time boundary. Then they discussed with the vendor to automate them. In this process we all skipped the important areas where we need major tool support.
So lack of understanding and knowledge about a tool is a major factor on deciding and finalizing an upcoming tool. Testers rely on an old known tool for upcoming testing. (Testers personal bag and baggage).
On the other hand, management needs to understand noting comes free or there is nothing called a free lunch. To get a good tool, they have to acquire it.
Lastly even we have procured a tool, we saw the tool failed during production support. One major reason what we found out was that we never educated the testers on the new tool. That caused an unwelcome behavior from testing team towards the tool.
So once we procure a tool, we need to educate the test team. We need to engage testers with the tool. There should be a constant effort to engage testers with the new tool. They can produce demos in regular interval.
This is one of the prime factors for Automated Testing challenges (DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- We need to choose a champion for the upcoming tool.
- Then we need to identify the resources for evaluation.
- We need to brainstorm and find out some flows(It can be a mixture of simple , medium and complex)
- Also, need to acquire a trial license.
- And need to perform automation on the identified flows.
- If we see success, we need to do a cost-benefit analysis.
If cost-benefit analysis is in our favor,we can start preparing the training plan for the testers.
- We need to roll out a plan
- Also, need to acquire the full license
- We need to prepare the automation deployment plan
- And need to prepare a conversion plan from an existing tool(if any)
- We need to measure benefits over time.
- Then we need to market inside of our organization.
Dependability-Software Testing challenges
Dependability is additionally one essential test for Automation. Every structure should bolster Error dealing with and recuperation. Computerization ought to be hearty to help various conditions. To make it versatile is one of the real difficulties these days. Mechanization must pursue the re usability convention to help visit fixes, discharges and fabricates.
This is one of the real difficulties these days. However, to show signs of improvement ROI, one must empower such usefulness in the system level. The last issue could be to decide how modified articles will be taken care of by the system. Dependability adds Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
I must say that engaging a single team for multiple projects will increase dependency. Later point of time when projects become huge, this strategy will surely back fire.
Another important factor that increases dependency is the inferior quality setup for the tester. Sometimes they are no way near to the production instance. The servers generally tend to have less capacity increasing risk to stop testing in a mid way.
Test data-Frequently faced challenges in automation
Test data is another central point in automation achievement. And it adds Challenges in Testing world too. In a perfect condition, test data ought not to be a seeded one or produced. We ought to probably utilize arbitrary test information represented by application rules. This may likewise control us towards high effect bug simply covering up inside information.
Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges) also includes this as automation is also majorly dependent on test data.
The bad guy perception-Top challenges in Testing
Who is a good tester? A person who has a capability to break the system and have a creative destruction attitude. But when tester voice out in different calls, they convey the bad news.They point out the areas where codes are not running as per expectation rather where codes are working.
This creates the perception that testers are bad for releases. On the other hand independent testers only check certain things.Developers are intelligent enough to close these points early.Hence independent test team can not find different quality bugs. This results a overall bad quality health for the product.This bad guy perception adds challenges to testing world.
Automation also faces this issue. Automation is treated as a development activity, not testing activity resulting in contribution to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- We need to educate the customer and other stakeholder about the purpose of deploying a test team.
- Then we need to encourage the test team to bring more valid issues of the system which helps everybody to understand the value of the team.
- And also need to make the stakeholder of the application understand that a tester is paid for finding defects not to create a bottle neck.
- We need to communicate properly that the testers are not there to stop a release. Their no go means that the product is buggy.
Testers mentality-QA challenges
Definitively, this is one of the prime factors in Challenges in Testing world.
Definition of a good test engineer:
A decent test engineer is who.
- Has a “test to break” demeanor,
- Takes the perspective of the client,
- Has a powerful urge for quality
- Tactful and political
- Has great a correspondence ability, both oral and composed. What’s more, he
- Has past programming improvement experience, as well.
But it is seen testers fall over the concept of ‘us and them’. Them often refers to the development team. Due to heavy workload, testers do not see the big picture and tend to be short sighted. This creates the blame game within the whole team. (No I am not saying the only testing team does this, it is the virtual boundaries which creates these noises.)
How to resolve?
- We need to encourage the test team for an open discussion with the stakeholders about the product.
- Then we need to motivate the teams to think about the end product not the teams.
- We need to provide the confidence as all teams are same as one unit.
- Also need to motivate cross cultural activities like testers if possible can contribute to development on the other hand developers can join the testing team to participate different testing activities.
- We need to put a process so that teams rely on the processes than a team.
We need to be careful about the conflict of interests while implementing boundary less, process dependent flow. Testers job is to create efficient test set to break the system rather demonstrate how good the code is and there is no defect in the system. Role playing is good when the process is matured.
Waterfall to Agile migration : A big challenge or QA challenges?
Agile is a time-boxed or time-bound approach where each cycle is called sprints. They lasts for two weeks. Agile needs continuous development, continuous Testing, and Continuous Integration. It is dynamic. It may not have a streamlined approach like a waterfall.
Due to CD-CT-CI, it is very easy to miss a critical flow during testing. Even it is seen in some time, tests were not anticipated during for certain flows.
Apart from Inadequate test coverage, we may get the following issues:
- Timezone difference in global delivery. Most of the calls happening in the customer’s time zone.
- Frequent Capacity planning needed in huge programs
- Adoption to Agile model takes time in the beginning
- Lack of detailed documentation available for reference to stories
- Multi-Skill enablement for the Scrum/Agile Requirement
- Managing the backlogs when sprint development resulted in more defects
- Possible inaccurate estimations
- Long and frequent meetings needed
- Adoption to handle the stories highly independently
- Inter team dependencies
These factors add challenges in Testing.
How to resolve?
- Identify a common time zone to setup calls for detailed discussion.
- Demand supply requirements need to be solid.
- Requirements needs to be captured in any requirement capturing tools.
- Regularly take part in the requirement grooming sessions.
- Learn, educate and apply new technologies in the team.
- Treat all teams as same.
- Connect with teams in case we need further inputs.
- Voice out ideas,plan to make a better product.
- Showcase, demo, and market in the retrospective calls or any other calls.
Agile way of developing and delivering software provides
- Greater flexibility
- Faster turnaround
- Early detection of defects
- Quick feedback
- Frequent release.
Agile and DevOps demands greater collaboration between testing, development and other groups.
Some techniques can value add by accelerating the test process. They also enable all stakeholders to go and test out of the box with multiple configurations.
Few important techniques that can be mentioned here:
- Test Automation
- Agile testing
- Shift Left Approach
- Service Virtualization
- API testing.
When to say enough-QA challenges?
When to quit testing? Exceptionally troublesome choice. Requires center judgment of testing forms and the significance of each procedure. Additionally requires ‘on the fly’ choice capacity. More often than not test engineers need in this issues. Numerous cutting edge programming applications are so mind boggling and kept running in such an associated domain, that total testing should never be possible. Normal factors in choosing when to stop are…
- Deadlines, for example, discharge due dates, testing due dates;
- Test cases finished with certain rate passed;
- Test spending plan has been exhausted;
- Coverage of code, usefulness, or prerequisites achieves a predetermined point;
- Bug rate falls underneath a specific dimension; or
- Beta or alpha testing period closes
But deciding when to quite is one of the challenges in Testing.
What if the project isn’t big enough to justify extensive testing?
Think about the effect of venture errors, not the span of the task. Nonetheless, if broad testing is as yet not advocated, the chance investigation is again required and the contemplations recorded under “Imagine a scenario where there isn’t sufficient time for exhaustive testing?” do matter. The test engineer at that point ought to do “impromptu” testing or review a constrained test plan dependent on the hazard investigation.
Concentrate QA Approach-Software Testing challenges:
As of late, there is a methodology came in the market that there would a concentrated testing group to check all the application. The favorable position might be the ideal utilization of assets and reuse experiments or test contents however there are difficulties…
to monitor each assignment. Correspondence challenges. Commonly results in the disappointment of one or both the undertakings. This methodology is a bit tedious.
Why are there so many software bugs?
Software bugs are the main challenges in Testing world. There are bugs in programming due to vague requirements, programming multifaceted nature, programming mistakes, changes in prerequisites, errors made in bug tracking, time weight, ineffectively recorded code and additionally bugs in instruments utilized in programming advancement.
There are vague programming prerequisites because there is a miscommunication with respect to what the product ought to or shouldn’t do.
Software intricacy. The majority of the followings add to the exponential development in programming and framework intricacy, GUI interfaces, customer server and dispersed applications, information interchanges, gigantic social databases and the sheer size of uses.
Programming errors happen because developers and programming engineers, similar to every other person, can commit errors.
As to evolving requirements, in some quick changing business conditions, consistently adjusted prerequisites are an unavoidable truth. In some cases clients don’t comprehend the impacts of changes or comprehend them however ask for them at any rate. What’s more, the progressions require an upgrade of the product, rescheduling of assets and a portion of the work officially finished must be revamped or disposed of and equipment necessities can be affected, as well.
Bug tracking can result in mistakes in light of the fact that the intricacy of monitoring changes can result in errors as well.
Time weights can cause issues, since booking of programming ventures isn’t simple and it regularly requires a great deal of mystery and when due dates loom and the crunch comes, mix-ups will be made.
Code documentation is difficult to keep up and it is likewise hard to adjust code that is inadequately reported. The outcome is bugs. In some cases, there is no motivator for developers and programming designers to report their code and compose recorded, reasonable code.
Once in a while designers get credit for rapidly turning out code, or developers and programming engineers feel they have professional stability if everybody can comprehend the code they compose, or they accept if the code was difficult to compose, it ought to be difficult to peruse.
Programming improvement apparatuses, including visual devices, class libraries, compilers, scripting devices, can present their bugs. Different occasions the instruments are ineffectively reported, which can make extra bugs.
Reuse of Test Scripts-Automated Testing challenges
Challenges in Testing world also consist of Re usability of Test script. Application improvement strategies are evolving quickly, making it hard to deal with the test devices and test contents. Test content relocation or reuse is a fundamental yet troublesome assignment. With plenty of changes in the dexterous method for improvement, it is huge that we should adopt an article situated strategy for our testing.
Something else, mechanization can’t generally take such a significant number of changes. Mechanization ought to likewise search for contents which have long haul life that produces more prominent ROI. As a general rule, we rely upon manual analyzers to get the contents. Which isn’t right as I would see it.
Whatever contents computerization group is robotizing ought to get approved by utilitarian specialists generally later it may toss loads of false positive report later move to genuine disappointments. Minor bugs with lower need is frequently a set back for designers. Yet, such sort of bugs may musk high need bugs.
Robotization will keep on coming up short at the minor bugs. High need bugs simply stow away in the shadow of carelessness. Overall not creating reusable assets contributes Challenges in Testing(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
What is Test Automation all about:
Test automation is a concept where the Automation experts use a tool and try to simulate an user’s activity. In other word they put intelligence to computer through coding by which computer behaves like a user. By doing this method automation test engineers mainly reduce
- The pain of testing a same piece of application with different set of data in multiple time.
- Manual intervention to the system
- Regression effect due to a bug fix or new implementation
Process of Automation Testing:
- Record /code the required place(100% testing through automation is not possible)
- Change as per framework.
- Insert data in the data table in case test engineers need to test for multiple iterations.
- Execute the code
- Generate result
- Validate the result.
Problems of Traditional Automation Testing Process:
- Most of the times the codes made by automation engineers become more of personal code. I mean very much test engineer’s specific code. Poor variable deceleration. I have seen people using the girlfriend’s name as variable.No comments!!! Due to these problems, a test engineer does not want to update or debug some other test engineer’s code.
- Test engineers try to inject new code by simply click on record. Do all the transformation on recorded code to make it as per framework. (Some do not bother to transform also).This brings problem absolute no re usability of the existing code. The previous development cost becomes useless.
- Even if there is a review process defined, they are very much unstructured. They mainly check the variable declaration, format of the script, entry and exit reporting. Inbuilt logic becomes untouched. This leads to script failure later part.
- Time is another factor which leads to a poor review of automation test code.It is always given the least time and last priority. Most of the automation engineers are more interested to run flow and complete it rather than a review of the code.
- Managers are not open to find out a bug in the script code. Rather it is always a blame game with the developer, manual QA process.
A test engineer’s performance can not be measured with how many defects he has caught and whose code runs perfectly without any problem. When I said that scripts are executing perfectly, it is meant without manual intervention. But Manual intervention never means an automation test engineer is poor at coding,there can be n number of reasons behind that. Frequently these problems lead to poor performance appraisal for test engineers.As a result test engineer is more interested to make a result pass rather investigating the root cause of the problem.
- GUI object change is also one more reason why testing process fails. Say in release x it was only drop down but in release y it became an editable field. In our day to day life automation engineers never track an object. They only depend on the tool to identify those cases. When failed, test engineers try to fix it. This reactive approach not only slows down the execution speed also can open a regression effect or can mess up everything.
- Improper tool selection is also a major contributor to the faulty process. I have seen tools which record the action itself and unable to run it back. I have seen a tool which when generating fresh code able to run. But if saved and run later always throws error “Object not found” even if the object is there.
- Insufficient knowledge about the tool also makes process unhealthy.
- Too much of function learning while automating the flow may contribute a percentage to the wrong automation testing process.
How to solve the automation testing issues?
To make the testing process more effective developer needs to understand the impact of their code change in automation. It is always better if the developer team follow the uniform approach. The uniform coding standard makes development code maintenance easy.
The main objective is to cooperate with developers and help each other. Maintain uniform and simple solution, rather having the complex and unintelligible solution.
Always look for a solution rather a workaround. And solutions should not be too complicated. Keep it easier so that everyone can understand. Follow the path that will achieve easy maintenance. Well, the structured overview will be plus.
Always follow best practices if not keep a good reason ready. All derivation should be approved by the test architect and other stakeholders.
Define standards but allow exceptions when needed. Oue application should derive the tools, not the tool should derive the application.
Better create E2E script rather module based. Code the automated test whenever a new product approved or a new piece of code is added into the application. Learn the basic technique about how to add the component well.
Let’s make the automated regression report visible to all. Make the team dependant on automation.
The development team must inform functionalities and GUI changes. So that automation knows what needs to be loaded or maintained.
How the Startups will cope up testing?
In Startups the issue of the testing team is multi-folded. Working in a strat up demands that you are creative and innovative in order to get the network done.
- Constant can be lask of resource
- Mostly need to work on or implement the open-source version of the tool, install it, configure it, and make it ready for your own usage.
- Lack of documentation process.
- Lack of awareness about the approach.
- Short time to market but limit the funding.
How to be a good tester at startup?
If you are habituated with a controlled environment, then startup may not be a good job for you. But in startup you can work directly with the CEO to develop marketing executives, sometimes customer. In most of the cases, testers need to be fairly technical. The responsibility lies to
- Plan the testing
- Obtain the resources
- Create the tests
- Setup the test requirements
- Create reports
- Get signoffs
Interestingly, the testers need to be on top of the teams. So a good tester or a test team must have the below criteria
- Creative, determined and passionate employees in your team.
- Provide Innovative Solutions to the database related issues
What is the solution then?
To cope up with these Challenges in Testing any test team has to follow the below:
- Ensure the requirements are strong, clear, total, definite, durable, achievable and testable. All players ought to consent to prerequisites. Use models to enable nail to down prerequisites.
- Have practical timetables. Permit sufficient time for arranging, plan, testing, bug settling, re-testing, changes, and documentation. It has to be in such a way that we do not need to burn the team members out.
- Do sufficient testing. Begin testing from the get-go, re-test after fixes or changes, and plan for adequate time for both testing and bug settling.
- Avoid new change requests. Stick to introductory prerequisites however much as could reasonably be expected. Be set up to safeguard plan against changes and augmentations, when improvement has started and be set up to clarify outcomes. On the off chance that changes are vital, guarantee they’re sufficiently reflected in related calendar changes. Use models right off the bat so clients’ desires are illuminated and clients can perceive what’s in store; this will limit changes later on.
Impart. Require walk-throughs and examinations when fitting; make broad utilization of email, bug tracking instruments, devices to track progress. Guarantee documentation is accessible and state-of-the-art. Use electronic documentation instead of paper. We make sure to collaborate and cooperate.
- if a bug is caught well advanced the cost to fix and retesting cost is less but if it is later staging the cost might go up exponentially. To mitigate such risk we have to take a different approach. Most of the test cases of earlier builds should be executed to detect the regression.Test engineers must check the new features.
- Sometimes it is incredibly frustrating to work in an agile mode of testing. There is pressure to deliver and many times the QAs are the lone person to raise a voice when everybody thinks the software will work well.QA needs to be very confident about their work should be able to backup their opinions with real facts.
In the agile model of development, QA can not be frustrated if there is fewer requirements or no requirements or frequently changing requirements. In the agile world, requirements are constantly being altered, added, redefined, refined or scrapped. There will be constant flux. We the QA need to be agile enough to cope up with the changes. Many start ups don’t even like to spend time and money on testing,even many times they think automation is the key to get success. To add to this they even call junior developers to test the application. But this strategy mostly fails as 100% automation is neither possible nor desirable. Again the developer can not test the application due to the mindset. They are creative by nature and QAs are destructive by nature.
- Lack of advertisement also makes QA fail. In start ups, QA team tends to small and mostly hidden under development. To mitigate the risk of a software QA’s role is huge. They need to raise alarm on a faulty product at the same time need to pick the free software to make QA cost less. But overall they need to advertise for themselves. Only then the importance will be well understood.
- In today’s world, people need good things at very minimal cost or in free. But at the same time, they are ready to uninstall if there are bugs in the software. They may give negative comments about the product. Playstore -Android, Appworld-Apple etc are the classic example of review comments. Few negative comments may slow down the selling or adopting new software. Think about the real world,we always go by the rating and comments.
- The startups and companies are cleverly taking an approach called the alpha and beta testing to reduce cost. This strategy creates hype but produces bad more rather than good.
- TDD-Test driven development is coming but in a very slow manner. Some also outsource the product to test. but the main problem is with the commitment level of the vendor company. They may not be as good a full-timer.
Do not hesitate to give correct feedback. Sometimes, this may not be feasible as the developer might be from the same organization. But we need to bring the improvement points on the table.
Remember happy customer experience is everybody’s objective. Hence we need to keep aside all the challenges and focus on delivery.
Today’s testing is very competitive. Testing needs effective and efficient strategies to work well. Testing needs to cover different geographies along with to cover wide variations of configurations.
Testing in the lab is never equal to original real-world testing. Hence 100% testing is neither achievable nor possible. If we follow these guidelines, sure ly Testing will rock!!.