- 1 Introduce to Choose Joomla As The Best CMS
- 2 Conclusion
Introduce to Choose Joomla As The Best CMS
Are you looking for a CMS to develop a highly engaging and interactive website? There are different CMS available to start with, but you have to choose the best one that fits your business needs.
A website is something that everyone needs to have as part of their business, especially for those looking forward to growing their business globally and gaining some online presence.
When setting up your organization’s website, many factors need to be considered, including website design and domain name. Above all, the essential factor is to choose the right Content Management System (CMS). It is the most crucial decision that should not be taken lightly.
You may find different CMS platforms out there serving prolifically to small and medium businesses. But we recommend Joomla as the best CMS platform that you can use to develop your new business website.
This article is curated to bring the best factors of Joomla CMS and how businesses can benefit from it.
Before jumping to the benefits of Joomla, understand what a CMS is!
What is a CMS?
CMS stands for the Content Management System. It is a software application or a set of related programs used to create and manage digital content.
Content Management systems are generally used for enterprise content management (ECM) and web content management (WCM).
An ECM helps you collaborate in the workplace by integrating document management, digital asset management, and records retention functionalities and providing end-users with role-based access to the organization’s digital assets.
And a WCM helps in editing the website content. Enterprise content management tool includes WCM publishing functionality. But ECM webpages always remain on the back-side of the organization’s firewall.
Going in-depth, you will find that ECM and WCM are built with two major components, i.e., a content delivery application (CDA) and a content management application (CMA).
A CMA is a graphical user interface (GUI) that allows the user to control content creation, modification, and removal activities of it don’t require a hardcore knowledge of HTML.
CDA component is known to provide back-end services to support content management and delivery created in the CMA.
What Are The Features of A Content Management System?
Take a look at the most significant and standard features that almost all CMS possess.
Indexing, search, and retrieval features index all data for easy access through search functions and allow users to search attributes like publication dates, keywords, and author.
- The Format management feature available in CMS turns the scanned simple documents and legacy electronic documents into PDF or HTML documents.
- The Revision feature of CMS allows the published content to be edited and updated. This feature also controls and tracks all the changes to the files made by individuals.
- CMS also has the Publishing functionality that allows individuals to use a template or the set of templates. But these templates need to be approved by the wizards and organization. It will proceed only if the templates best fit with other tools to create or modify content.
See the image below to know more about other major Joomla features.
CMS can also provide tools for one-to-one marketing. One-to-one marketing is a website’s ability to tailor its content and advertising to a users’ specific characteristics using the users’ or gathered by the site.
These were just the basic features, but CMS’s have other great features too:
- You can create SEO friendly URLs
- Get integrated and online help, including discussion boards
- Group-based permission systems
- Full template support and customizable templates
- Easy Wizard-based install and versioning procedures
- Admin panel with multiple language support
- Content hierarchy with unlimited depth and size
- Minimal server requirements
- Integrated file managers
- Integrated audit logs
How do you choose a CMS?
Choosing a CMS entirely depends upon what your website is all about. Once you decide what your website should do, picking the CMS is a piece of cake.
Read more: wordpress-appointment-and-booking-plugins/
In a CMS, you should always look for a few basic functionalities. These can be –
- Easy to use editor interface and intelligent search capabilities. However, many organizations use some specific software based on some specific project requirements.
For instance, start considering the organization’s geographic dispersion and size. The CMS administrator must know how many people will use the website and what size would be the support team that will be needed to maintain the operations.
- It’s also important to consider the level of control both administrators and the end-users will have when using the CMS.
- The diversity of the electronic data forms used within an organization must also be considered.
- All types of digital content should be indexed easily.
There are tons of CMS’s to choose from in the market, but Joomla is something special and one-of-a-kind CMS.
Introduction of Joomla
Joomla is an open-source development platform used to create high-quality websites and applications. It is a Content Management System that connects your website to a database to make content management and delivery easier on both the site manager and visitor.
If you want a new and highly interactive business website, you should go with offshore development to make your website work better than competitors. While hiring offshore developers, you can specify them to create your website on the latest Joomla version.
Joomla is a great platform when it comes to usability and extensibility since its initial release in 2005.
Because of these characteristics, the project has been the recipient of numerous awards. It has been a three-time recipient of the PACKT open-source content management system award.
As mentioned above, Joomla is a free solution available to anyone who wants a dynamic and robust website to serve various business purposes.
- Some of the most reputed brands and companies have been using it, including Harvard, iHop, and MTV.
- From corporate websites and blogs to social networks and e-commerce, it can carry out various tasks.
- The developer community of Joomla is vast and active, which shows that the platform has excellent support.
- It comes with thousands of unique and useful extensions and templates that make it one of the largest single-site building platforms.
- It is its incredible community effort that makes Joomla a great choice for developers searching for the best CMS platform to build dynamic websites.
- Joomla is not limited to build a single type of website; instead, it’s a robust set of tools, making it possible to connect visitors to data in a vast range of ways.
- Joomla’s extensive set of integrated technologies helps site managers and developers to innovate and explore the new height of even a simple website.
Why should you use Joomla?
There are a lot of advantages of using Joomla. Its features will make you pick over many of its competition. On top of that, being a full-featured CMS, it is easy to learn, quick to set up, and inexpensive.
- It is free. You can download and install it to reap its advantages. It does not matter where you would want to implement it.
- This CMS meets the needs of both large and small-sized business websites.
- Since it is open-source, there would be no surprise bills after you start your website.
- Joomla platform is open for you to inspect and even modify to meet your site’s individual needs.
- Its extensive third-party development community has created thousands of plugins, extensions, templates, and other options to make the most of your site.
- A vast community of developers is contributing to Joomla and make it a far accessible platform for developers.
- Many companies follow the principle of providing premium software and services that work with the Joomla environment.
- Such companies often spend long hours and many days working with clients to help them turn their dream website concept into reality. And they frequently utilize Joomla to the projects to make the website or application even better.
For example, Rockettheme provides several useful and freely available templates and extensions for Joomla while creating premium templates and applications for anyone wanting to kick their site up. It helps business owners set up a website without spending a hefty amount of money and time.
Moreover, it is known for the below-mentioned factors:
Big Brands Using Joomla?
Joomla can be used for a wide range of websites with different styles and businesses.
Joomla is known for being used by many government organizations around the globe. Apart from that, it is also used heavily for educational websites, media, corporate, e-commerce, and also for personal blogs and websites.
Joomla is convenient. There are different pros of Joomla, which we would discuss later, but its primary strengths are its usability and extendibility.
You could be a student or a company, just budding, or someone who wants to learn something new; building a website with Joomla will be a great place to start with.
You don’t have to know the core of HTML or any other programming language or even the web development basics to set up and customize a site. You only have to tap into its open codebase to create something entirely original and unique.
If you want to make a custom module for your site, you can do this with Joomla.
Do you Joomla is empowering a variety of top websites? Let’s explore a few of them.
Here’s the list:
Linux.com is the hub for all kinds of information regarding Linux software, documentation, technical questions with answers, and how you work on Linux across different platforms like Desktop, Laptop, Mobile, etc.
Linux.com is a customized template build with Joomla.
It also has several extensions such as the FrontPage Slideshow and community Q&A.
- The FrontPage slideshow usually allows the visitors to view the latest information and news at the center of the page.
- In contrast, the community answer extension helps the Linux team to quickly find questions in different categories from Linux users and visitors and answer them.
MTV Greece is as famous as any other version of MTV across the world. The website was first launched in 2008 using Joomla version 1.5 using a custom template design by Keegot.
This website uses different extensions, including:
- K2 – for customized menus and modules
- Custom Code – to display social media websites connected to MTV Greece
- FrontPage Slideshow – for showing hot and trending news/blogs
Harvard also uses Joomla. It is a globally renowned educational institution.
This website was created using Joomla version 2.5 and also has a customized template as the ones above. It is equipped with a K2 extension, which allows easy creation of website content to post the latest news, notifications, and displaying pictures and stuff.
This website is an online community for people who follow fashion trends. It features fashion designers’ work, celebrities’ photos and fashion, trending fashion, and different events and models.
This website was created using Joomla 1.5 and a customized template by AtomicOnline.
It is equipped with only one extension, FrontPage Slideshow, which reveals the latest news, hottest gossips, and the trendiest fashion news that people expect from this website.
Unric stands for the United Nations regional information center for western Europe, a government organization that services Europe and provides documentation and information to the countries in Europe.
Unric.org has a clean and elegant design that attracts people and compels them to explore it.
The website also has exceptionally smooth and easy navigation that users love to go through.
Joomla version 1.5 is used for making this website. Additionally, two plugins Roktabs and Issuu Smartlook, are also installed to make it more functional.
On top of that, the template used on this website is based on the RocketTheme gantry framework.
Ikea is one of the best furniture sellers globally. The website is built with Joomla that makes it elegant in design and robust in functionality.
Ikea is a modern and clean website that offers a professional catalog of products and a store locator feature.
The official website of the Holiday Inn hotel chain is built using Joomla.
It comes with an elegant and appealing graphic design. The main feature of this website includes an advance booking system.
The front page has functional Joomla sliders.
The hill is an online newspaper that posts reports and news about Congress sessions.
This website is developed using Joomla version 1.5 that comes with a customized template.
This website features news videos, news, and blogs in an eye-catching manner.
It has the Disqus comment extension, which allows readers to comment on their page.
It’s the official website of the National crime agency that protects the public by disrupting and bringing to justice those serious and organized criminals who present the highest risk to the UK.
The site looks simple but has a modern touch to it, and it uses the k2 extension to organize its content.
The front page has a slider, which is used to present the latest news.
iTWire is a well-known and well-designed website that provides top-of-the-line technology, internet news, and industrial professionals’ information.
In this website, Joomla version 1.5 has been used. The Grid Twelve template (created by Paul Hosking) is used when it comes to template usage and selection.
The feature extensions are Lof Articlesslideshow, which shows hot and essential news on the homepage and Discuss comment, which allows visitors to comment on news and articles.
Joomla has impressed many big and small brands by its prominence and functional advancement.
It has everything you can ask for as a CMS. The latest version of Joomla is more improved and offers much more than its predecessors.
It’s much more interactive with front-end module editing, decoupling of weblinks, and different other great features.
If you are a startup or a small business, or a website built and maintained by Joomla CMS, Joomla can be a great launchpad to success and growth. There could be no better way than to do it with Joomla.
We hope the article is helpful and gives you clear insights into why you should switch to Joomla for web development.
Mohit Maheshwari is Chief Strategist at NMG Technologies, a full service IT Company offering Website and Mobile app development services. He has been in the industry since 2000 and focuses on long-term strategies, intuitive user experience and successful customer acquisition. Follow Mohit on Twitter and LinkedIn.