Introduction to Dating App Development
Technologies bring innovations to various fields, including meeting new people and dating. These days, dating apps allow getting acquainted with new people even if they lack time. Solutions can match people based on their location, common interests, and other aspects.
Dating apps can become a successful startup. For example, Tinder’s revenue came to $1.4 billion in 2020.
However, dating app development can be a struggle. In this post, you can find all the required information on how to make a dating app. Here’s what you’re going to learn:
- How dating apps work
- Reasons to create a dating app
- Tech stack for app development
- Must-have and advanced features
- How to monetize the app
How to Develop a Dating App: Steps to Follow
Let’s start with the basics. To create a successful dating app, you should take five primary steps:
- Step #1. Discover the functionality principles of dating apps.
- Step #2. Find a reliable development team.
- Step #3. Create the design of your dating app.
- Step #4. Choose the features and develop an MVP version.
- Step #5. Consider the ways to monetize the solution.
How Does a Dating App Work?
Starting the development, you need to understand the principle and primary algorithms of a dating app.
Dating apps belong to the ‘family’ of social media apps. They collect and process the user’s information to show their matches. If you want to make an app like Tinder, you need to consider various features.
For example, Tinder matches people depending on their location. To start communication, users need to like each other.
There are several matching algorithms:
- Location. It’s always good to meet a person nearby. In this case, the offline meeting is more likely to happen. A bunch of dating apps uses GPS technology.
- Mathematics. This algorithm connects people by finding similarities in answers given to a questionnaire. For example, OkCupid also takes into account the importance of questions to the user.
- Behavior. Algorithms for behavior-based matching are more complicated in comparison to mathematical and location-based ones. They operate with data gathered from outside sources (social networks accounts, profiles, groups they visit, musical playlists, etc.). As a result, there are more accurate results.
Benefits of Dating App Development
Dating apps bring a lot of benefits to the customers. Below you can find some of them.
Perfect for busy people and introverts. Dating apps are actively used by people who work a lot. They usually have no time to visit different places to meet someone. Introverts also like dating apps since it’s easier for them to find a good interlocutor.
Find a friend nearby. Dating apps offer to find people nearby, using the geolocation feature. As a result, they can meet offline easily.
No unwanted connections. To start chatting, users need to like each other. It leads to fewer letters and unwanted connections.
Read more: develop-a-telemedicine-app
Variety. Online dating allows meeting people from various professions, from different regions, from various universities, etc. As a result, there is a wide choice of potential soulmates. So it’s possible for the user to find who they have been waiting for.
Things to Consider During Dating App Design and Development
Dating app development requires preparations. That’s why I’ve decided to create a list of things you should consider making a dating app.
#1. Pick a Catching Name
Users should remember the name of your service at once. The name should be short and easy to remember. Word of mouth will also work here since users will share the name of your app with their friends.
#2. Determine Your Target Audience
Knowing the target audience and their preferences, you can create more personalized solutions and gain more users.
If you want to develop a dating app for smartphones and tablets, you’ll have to choose between iOS and Android.
If your users live in the United States, Canada, Australia, or Western Europe, pick iOS.
While Android is number one in countries like Central and South America, India, Africa, China, the Middle East, Russia, Eastern Europe, and some others.
#3. Consider a User-Friendly UI/UX Design
An attractive and user-friendly design allows gaining more users. It’s better to develop a simple and intuitive design. Dating apps also require bright colors and clear buttons. 42% of people tend to uninstall apps because the user interface was badly designed.
You should cooperate with an experienced and qualified UI/UX designer to create an excellent design for your dating app.
#4. Pick the Required Features
Every dating app has various features. Of course, it’s better to add some advanced features like video calls to get more users.
To give you a hint, there are some basic features to add to your dating app:
- Registration and login
- User profile
- Push notifications
- Admin panel
Want to make your date more romantic?
#5. Choose the Tech Stack
To pick the right tech stack, it’s better to consult with qualified iOS and Android developers (depending on the chosen platform).
- Programming languages: Java, Kotlin, Swift
- Frameworks: Node.js, Express.js, Next.js, React Router
- Database: PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Cloud storage: Amazon S3
- Web servers: Nginx
- Payments: Stripe, PayPal
- Tools: Optimizely, Twilio, Elasticsearch, Google Maps, Google Analytics
Dating app development can be a struggle, so you need to be carefully prepared. It’s required to cooperate with an experienced development team. You need to hire an in-house team or outsource the development to the vendor.