Introduction to Default Gateway Is Not Available
A default gateway is a router or network node generally available in the computer networking system. It also acts as a forwarding hop to the other networking system when any next-hop IP address is not mentioned in the routing table indicating the destination host.
The default gateway behaves as an access point to the other networks that want to communicate or send data packets to another network.
Sometimes you may experience some problems such as the default gateway is not available in Windows 10 WiFi. You will also see a red cross (X) on your network computer icon and will be unable to use your internet connection.
You must know How to fix the default gateway is not available problems in your Windows 10 system. Given below are some common troubleshooting techniques to fix the default gateway is not available Windows 10 problem:
Some Common Methods to Resolve the Default Gateway is not available Windows 10 issue:
1st Method: Remove third-party Antivirus from System
In some cases, it is found that any third-party antivirus program present In the system causes the default gateway is not available to issue.
To resolve this, we need to uninstall them completely. OR we can Add & Remove Programs by the Run prompt. Follow the steps given below to know How you can delete any security program from your system.
- Press the Windows logo key + R key at the same time. Type cpl command and then press Enter.
- Select your MacAfee program and then click Uninstall to remove them from the system.
- You must restart your computer once the antivirus is successfully uninstalled.
If you are using Windows 10, you must always ON the Windows Defender, an anti-malware component of Microsoft Windows.
2nd Method: Reinstall Network adapters driver
Reinstalling the Network adapter drivers is also a popular solution to fix the “default gateway is not available” issue. You can follow the steps given below to uninstall the drivers and then installing them again:
- Press the Windows logo key + X key combination. Then click on the Device Manager option from the menu.
- Expand Network adapters by double click on it. Right-click your particular network adapter and then click on the Update Driver Software
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
- Tap on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Un-tick the Show compatible hardware Click on Intel Corporation. Select any different network adapter driver apart from what you have now. Then, click on the Next button.
3rd Method: Disable Power Conservation Options
If you are facing the default gateway is not available on Windows 10 system, even after following the methods given above.
Then it is generally recommended to disable certain drivers to conserve power. For this, follow the steps given below:
- Press “Windows” + “R” keys to open the Run prompt.
- Enter the command: msc and then press the “Enter“ button.
- Expand the “Network Adapter” option by double-clicking on it.
- Right-click on the driver that is currently used in your system and then select “Properties.”
- Click on the “Power Management” tab and un-tick the option displaying “Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power.”
4th Method: Change the frequency of your wireless router
Most of the latest routers support 5GHz frequency, but it might be possible that your current adapter may not work with this high frequency.
In such a case, you need to change it from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. Many users have experienced that the issue of the default gateway is not available is resolved after changing the wireless frequency from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. You can check the detailed process of changing the frequency of your router from its manual.
5th Method: Reset TCP/IP
Many users have found that resetting TCP/IP can also help you in fixing the default gateway is not available error. For this, you need to launch Command Prompt as an administrator in your system and then enter the IP reset command. Follow the steps given below to reset the protocols:
- Start Command Prompt as an administrator in your system. For which, pressing Windows Key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following command netsh int IP reset and then press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Once the process is successfully completed, close Command Prompt and then restart your PC again.
6th Method: Install a new Ethernet driver
If you are getting the default gateway is not available error on Windows 10, you must make sure that you have the latest Ethernet driver on your system.
To install a new Ethernet driver in your system, visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and then identify the latest Ethernet driver for your system.
Once it is successfully downloaded in your system, install it, and the problems with gateway will be resolved. Sometimes, downloading the drivers manually can be a little risky as it can permanently damage your system if it is wrong driver versions. So you must use some trusted websites to download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
All the above methods will help you to understand How to fix the default gateway is not available problems on Windows 10 PC. Follow the steps and instructions given above. To fix this problem, try all solutions given above.