Introduction to Full-Stack Web Development
It’s a very common thing for people to get confused between web developers and web designers. While both help builds websites, there are certain twists in the procedures and in the job roles of web designers and web developers.
It’s quite tough to choose a career between these two. In fact, one must weigh in all the factors, especially their personal interests, and aptitudes.
Back when I was opting for my career, choosing between web design and development was confusing for me as well. The idea of designing a website or application with all my creativity was always fascinating to me.
On the other hand, I thought about web development since I had a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS. I knew, being a developer would provide me great scopes to earn a ton of money.
It was a hard choice for me back then and it will be challenging for you too, given the current Covid-19 situation. However, if you can understand the key differences between full-stack web designing and web development, choosing between these two, as career options, won’t be a major problem.
There are certain facilities available to help you even in this pandemic situation, once you decide to choose the career you want to pursue.
Let us now have a brief discussion regarding the differences between full-stack web designing and web development as career options.
Full-Stack web designing:
Modern web designing is a process to conceptualize content based on aesthetics and functionality. Full-stack web designing is not limited to only websites anymore.
It includes web and mobile applications, user interfaces, and UI designing as well. Let’s have a look at the benefits of learning full-stack web designing skills.
- Independence to work on freelance projects.
- Unlike a front or back end developer, full-stack web designing opens up a ton of diverse career growth options.
- Enables the ability to adapt and work on various web and app development platforms.
- Increased chances of employment opportunities due to the huge demand for full-stack designers in the market.
- In the current situation, full-stack web designers are one of the highest-paid professionals.
As tempting as it sounds, Full-stack web designing is a very crucial job role that will require certain skills and knowledge to excel in this career.
- Prior knowledge of development languages, such as Java, Python, .Net, Ruby, etc.
- Understanding of third-party libraries like, LESS, jQuery, React JS will be beneficial.
- Familiarity with various DBMS technology like MySQL, Oracle, SQLServer.
- The basic principle idea to work on prototype and UI/UX designs.
- Knowledge of algorithms and working on Linux.
Full-Stack web development:
Full-stack web development includes both front-end and back-end development of a web application. A full-stack developer can develop complete websites and web applications by working on the front and back end, databases, and debugging. Now, let’s have a look at the benefits of learning full-stack web development skills.
- High demand in the market.
- It’s a set of indispensable skills that will help an individual throughout the entire career without having to worry about job or project to work on.
- Diverse job opportunities with a higher pay scale.
- The opportunity for growth and chance to get hired by renowned organizations for its huge requirement in the market.
- Basically, it’s mostly a one-man show. There’s a lot of flexibility to work as a full-stack web developer and it’s easy to learn.
Just like web designing requires certain sets of skills, a full-stack web developer must have the following expertise to be successful.
- Should have knowledge of development languages like Java, Ruby, Python, etc.
- Knowledge of back-end languages (Java, PHP, etc)
- It’s essential to have prior knowledge of API and web services.
- Basic knowledge of web architecture.
I hope this article has covered all the basic information about both career choices. In my case, I was familiar with HTML and CSS but didn’t have any prior knowledge of designing or visual works. So, I opted for full-stack web development as my career and it worked out fine.
In the current Covid-19 situation, work from home is the most common form of work now. However, much to your delight, full-stack web designing, and development, are both very much suitable and valued job roles in this period.
Determine your goal, clear your head, and think straight. If you have a knack for visuals and you fancy the way things look and feel, web designing is right up your ally.
But if you are more into logical and technical stuff, have a keen eye for detailing, full-stack web development is your genre. Go for it!
In the end, it’s totally up to you and your sense of priority. There are several training institutes in India that offer great courses for full-stack web development and web designing.
They can provide great assistance in both fields. Whatever you choose, make sure you have a great learning curve and become the ‘full-stack’ everyone is looking for.