|HP-Sprinter a Major Boost for Manual Testing|
]Today we can not think QA without automation. Can we? No. The paradigm is shifted towards automation. But the records shows that monkey testing or exploratory testing finds major bugs than systematic automation testing. History also shows that most of the exploratory testings are lost as lack of documentations or no proper steps found.Manual testers get many bugs thinking out of the box. Think about modern applications , they need to run on any or every well known devices.Testing on these devices in the monkey way to detect bug will take huge time for manual testers.
Until now project managers are forced to accept the the sluggish and slow nature of manual testing. On top of that manual testing is tedious, error prone and time consuming.
HP Sprinter has come up with a solution for manual testers. It is a good news to the QA community. It accelerates, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of testing in QA way.
Let us see the major challenges in manual testing:
- Creation of testcase takes time
- Parameterization of testcases are time consuming and costly.
- Data management is often mismanaged
- Execution is tame taking process
- Testers need to follow the test steps and execute in systematic execution which is tedious and boring.
- Repetitive steps documentation kills execution time.
- Testing in multiple environment is a headache.
- Documentation of testcases,writing,designing,execution,result update ,bug reporting with screenshot is a painful process.
- No exploratory testing as time does not permit in most of the scenarios. Even if we have time, documentation for exploratory testcases takes time
There are several issues with bug logging as well. They are as follows:
- Bug description is incomplete most of the time.
- Bug information is misleading.
- And bug reproduction is often time consuming process
- Repetitive steps to perform
- Need to take screenshot while testing.
- Cross testing-working with multiple screens and tools is not possible
- Manually entering large volume of data to validate
- Semi -automatic automation process
- No tractability or automatic logging
- Real time view of the applications
- Exploratory defects can be translated into words,steps to reproduce with screenshot and video documentation
- Can automate test data entry-Auto playback and auto data injection
- Then it can work on multiple platform
- Can reduce the offshore onsite or development and testing team ping pong of effect by providing correct and accurate steps documentation.
- Faster execution support.
- Speedy defect resolution.
- Delivering test result faster
- Record detailed testcases
- Easy to use and obstructive
- Visually capture and record all test actions
- Can log defects automatically
10 Best Features of HP-Sprinter:
Since inception, Quality of an application is considered as an essential part. Despite of all modern or advanced methods of automation the oldest way to test is manual. It is ugly too.It is not fading. Rather it is the prime area where we look for quality. When lot has been done towards sophisticated and systematic automation testing, the manual testing is still in stone age . The traditional manual testing is still having weapon like-Excel to document. word to capture the testing details. Ms-paint,snipping tool to capture screenshots.Current -HP ALM,Rally,OATS etc test management tools managed to bring manual testing organized but they were not enough. There are lot of scope to improve this area.
Features of HP-Sprinter:
Here is a list of 10 best features that will surely lift the manual testing to a new standard.
- Scanner: This is one of the out of the box feature called scanner. By running it it tells you the potential defects. like-spelling problems,broken links,localization rules and World wide web consortium compliance.
- Data injection: This feature is very easy to use and uses an animated way to put all data(predefined). This is kind of auto fill feature . This saves huge manual insertion time. It reduces manual time as well.
- Easy Integration with Mobile:It supports native mobile applications using HP mobile center. It converts the manual tests to automatic tests for mobile.
- Planning: Easy test plan creation is one of the core features of Sprinter. We can create and edit manual tests and business components by sprinter plan.
- Easy learning: User friendly design of sprinter make it easy for manual testers and other stakeholders by providing a clear view of the step information,navigation steps,modification steps etc. Even a newly joined semi skilled tester will be able to work with this model.It provides two way of viewing an application-One- normal view- More details and less application screeenshots. Two- Detailed View-Sub title view to see application less details.
A manual tester can move between tests without interrupting the current test flow. Sprinter saves data into serialized manner. So switching between different tests gives a competitive advantages over traditional systematic automation testing.It provides an easy way to cross platform and cross browser testing.It can identify the changes in attribute and can raise defect.
- Easy documentation: It documents every action performed on an application by manual tester.this auto documentation feature saves huge time for testers. Sprinter records user actions. These actions can later be converted to manual test cases with proper steps information. So no testing goes undocumented. Testers do not need to reinvent the wheel. Testers can edit them at any given point of time.
- Parameterization: Ability to edit parameters during a test run in another important feature of Sprinter. This also gives a competitive advantage over automation. So different types of testing null value checking,Boundary value testing, length checking, information correctness can be done easily.It is having an excellent feature called macro.
- Defect submission: It provides an automatic way to log a defect in ALM with proper descriptions,step info,screenshots etc. If the team does not have any ALM application ,it submits the defects to defect tracking system. It submits a defects into two ways. One- Open a smart defect -does everything in backend and asks us to submit the defect. two-At the end of the execution,it alerts us to submit a defect. The test flow need not be halted during defect capture. We have also the smart annotation on a screenshot. A set of repetitive tasks can be done via a macro.
- View Test result: It comes with a story board that shows different actions performed in the test along with screenshots. We have an option to provide comments to it,raise defect out of it.
Top 8 Down Sides of HP-Sprinter
- Learning Curve: Still it is not plug and play tool.We need to learn the tool in order to use it in day to day basis.The learning curve depends on the team’s ability to pick. This aspect can turn the ROI down.
- Resource Hungry system: It needs 4 GB of RAM to run smoothly and the .exe size is also very huge-400MB. Apart from these lots of space got wasted due to screenshots.
- Human Judgement: It still needs human judgement to qualify a defect.It is not auto logging into ALM or any defect logging system. No native support for native JIRA , Rally,version One integration.
- Limited Browser support: Very less support for IE(Version 10 or greater) , chrome,Firefox,safari and desktop.Browser cookies must be enabled.
Due to its huge size and thanks to its tools bar size, it may easily distract testers.As more and more exploratory testcases become part of the systematic testcases. The importance or the shift is bound to change.
- No Great Support for OpenSource: Sprinter is having no or very minimal support to opensource testing tool-like-Selenium.
- Less Manual Page Support: Currently this area is limited to 3-4 pages. But for a such industry ready tool, we need to have minimum 40-50 pages.
- Others: There is no patented visualization board and no centralized recording repository.