- 1 Introduction to Chromecast and Smart TV
- 1.1 History of Chromecast
- 1.2 Specifications of Chromecast
- 1.3 Requirements
- 1.4 colour options for Chromecast
- 1.5 Versions of Chromecast
- 1.6 Chromecast’s Inbuilt Hardware Systems
- 1.7 Out of the box, You will get
- 1.8 Platform supported by Chromecast
- 1.9 4 Essential components of Chromecast
- 1.10 How To Connect Android Phones To TV Using Chromecast?
- 1.11 What are the excellent things you can do with Chromecast?
- 1.12 Apps Supported by Chromecast
- 1.13 Do I need to switch off Chromecast?
- 1.14 How do I switch from Chromecast to normal mode?
- 1.15 Can I cast in Group?
- 1.16 How to fix issues with Chromecast?
- 1.17 Share and Enjoy !
Introduction to Chromecast and Smart TV
Do you want to learn how to connect your android phone to TV using Chromecast? Today I will be teaching you all you need to get started. Example of the platform you can cast is Netflix, YouTube, amazon prime, and many others. Basically, Chromecast is a video streaming device. So without any further ado let’s get started.
History of Chromecast
As per google record, the idea of streaming from cellphone to tv was dreamed Majd Baker. This dream came from the movie viewing technique adopted by his wife Carla Hindie.
She used to search the movies in laptop them queued it to play. Once ready she attached a gaming device that could stream the movie to television.
Baker’s idea not only solved his wife’s problem but also changed the way people looked at television.
Chromecast now uses mobile and web apps powered by Google to cast while the mobile helps to browse content over mobile and apps, mirror the same on tv.
Majorly Chromecast uses HDMI port but if your television does not have HDMI port, you can use a converter, HDMI to VGA to enjoy Chromecast.
Specifications of Chromecast
This is the simplest, cheapest and easiest way to stream videos to a television. It is very similar to a USB drive.
- Length-2.8 inches
- Width-1.4 inch
- Height-0.5 inch
- Weight- 34 grams.
- Chromecast stick
- Chromecast app
colour options for Chromecast
Chromecast is available in two colour options-
Versions of Chromecast
Chromecast has 5 versions to date:-
- Chromecast 1st generation.
- Chromecast 2nd generation.
- Chromecast 3rd generation.
- Chromecast audio
- Chromecast ultra.
Chromecast’s Inbuilt Hardware Systems
Chromecast is powered by:
- A motherboard with the system on chip process.
- 512 MB RAM(SD-RAM)
- 2 GB storage memory
- WLAN module
- Bluetooth Module
- FM module.
Out of the box, You will get
The device comes with:
- A USB power cable (micro USB connector & standard USB 2.0 connector).
- A power adapter
- An HDMI cable
Platform supported by Chromecast
Chromecast supports following operating system platform:
- Android(Gingerbread or higher)
- Chrome OS
- ios(6.0 or higher)
- MAC(10.7 or higher)
- Windows (7 or higher).
4 Essential components of Chromecast
Chromecast consists of four components-
- Google cast SDK and apps.
- Device discovery protocols.
- Operating System.
- Mobile app.
Google SDK and apps
Google cast SDK (released on 2013, July 24) is the prime software used in Chromecast.
The software works in two different models-
- A sender app (controls the signals, enables browsing, controlling media etc).
- A receiver app– It executes in the environment to chrome browser to receive the signal to cast, They depend heavily on the APIs designed in SDK.
Device discovery protocols:
Chromecast is powered by Multicast Domain Name System(mDNS) available or wifi devices or wifi network. Previously Chromecast used to use DIAL (Discovery and Launch) protocol developed by Netflix and YouTube jointly.
First-generation Chromecast was provided by a minimalistic version of Chrome OS. Currently, it is powered by optimal and upgraded Chrome OS.
Chromecast mobile app is fueled by Google by Home App. This app enables the user to configure, setup and content Synchronization.
How To Connect Android Phones To TV Using Chromecast?
To cast your Android device to your TV, Make sure you have both a Chromecast stick and the mobile app. You can try buying the Chromecast stick directly from any online store. You can get the chrome stick for 30$ or so. The Chromecast app is also available on Google play store, after getting all the necessary requirements to follow the simple and detailed steps below.
- Download, Install and launch the Chromecast mobile app
- Plug the Chromecast stick into your TV. It should fit into your TV’s HDMI port. You can check the image below for a TV’s HDMI port image.
- Now open the Chromecast mobile app
- Locate and tap “Look For New Chromecast” and wait for some seconds then exit the app.
Open your android network setting the follow the simple steps below:
- On your network settings, locate and tap “Chromecast option”
- Now kindly minimize and retrace your step back to the Chromecast app
- You should get a pop up displaying “next”, tap it.
- Confirm that the code on your TV matches the one on your phone.
To proceed, you will set up your Chromecast. This includes the following processes:
- Selecting a country
- Adding a name to your Chromecast (optional)
- Adding a wireless network to your Chromecast
Open the app that you would like to cast on your screen, apps like Netflix and Youtube are supported, while some websites are also supported too.
- Tap the screencasting icon. This is the rectangular icon with a series of curving lines in its bottom left corner.
- Tap Chromecast. If you gave your Chromecast a name, that name will display here instead.
- Wait for your phone’s screen to appear on your TV. This may take a few seconds. Once your screen has been successfully mirrored, you can use your phone to pause, skip ahead, or alter the volume of your content.
What are the excellent things you can do with Chromecast?
- You can mirror the phone server to let everybody see the server activities.
- Present your creation to a larger audience. (like presentation)
- Once Chromecast is attached to larger Home App, you can control home automation by voice control.
- Chromecast Ethernet adapter allows us to attach the Chromecast with Wi-Fi than can stream if the strength of the signal is poor.
- Streaming music is also possible. (Helps to party, dance with a good option for baby sleep).
- Chromecast can also showcase album, photos, social networks update etc a truly smart tv features.
- You can watch YouTube, Amazon prime videos, recordings etc.
- You can create your personalized watchlist.
- Assists you to play the game during the night on the big screen.
- Powerful, smooth and high-speed data transfer(1080p at 60 frames per second).
- Hands-free streaming is possible.
Apps Supported by Chromecast
While more and more apps are available for Chromecast, here is a list of apps that supports easily-
- Pandora Radio
- HBO Go
- HULU plus
- Google play music
- Google play movies
- Google Play TV
- POST TV
- RealPlayer cloud
- Red Bull TV
Do I need to switch off Chromecast?
Chromecast essentially draws a very little amount of electricity. It hardly affects your consumption. So in my view, you do not need to switch off the Chromecast.
How do I switch from Chromecast to normal mode?
Chromecast itself a mode. So in your TV remote, while browsing your Source button, you can get Chromecast. In the same way, you can switch to other modes. As it is a plug and play device, you can simply unplug the Chromecast when not required. You will go back to normal mode.
Alternatively, your iPhone or Android device can control the Chromecast from mobile devices. You will be able to switch to normal mode.
Can I cast in Group?
Yes. Using Spotify users can stream simultaneously to the groups
How to fix issues with Chromecast?
- Quality of cost is poor– Chromecast automatically detects the highest quality possible for streaming check the internet connection and HDMI cable plugin. Slow internet and loose HDMI cable may chance poor casting.
- Casting can not be controlled– Restart phone and Chromecast, reconnect them to get the control back. If the control is still not gained, consider changing the device.
- No casting compatible app available– The first check for Chromecast compatible app from your play store or software inventory then locate cast icon to check if that is enabled.
- No connection to wifi- Restart wifi and Chromecast getting it closer to wifi so that it can catch the signal easily, update the software to make it easy.
What did I miss? You can include them in the comment section below and get an instant reply.