Introduction to Reasons of Low Stamina in Bed
Problems of low stamina are most commonly seen in men in comparison to women. Most men when advances into midlife and beyond, experience changes in their sexual health, leading to dysfunction.
Most of the changes are due to diminished sex hormone levels, such as testosterone. Decreased testosterone can lead to erectile dysfunction (ED), decreased libido, loss of pubic and body hair, impaired orgasmic and ejaculatory function, etc.
Low sexual stamina is one of several conditions of sexual health and performance issues. However, it gets difficult to diagnose as most men fail to admit it and take advice for it.
Several causes are associated with sexual dysfunction in the presence or absence of disabling conditions. Organic/structural, psychological, or relationship issues should be considered, irrespective of the underlying disability diagnosis.
Causes of low stamina in bed
Several reasons are responsible for low stamina or energy in bed
- Deficiency of nutrition or a poor diet may cause people to have chronic fatigue or low energy levels resulting in low sexual stamina
- A nutritional diet consists of plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and proteins which in turn can enhance energy levels
- These deficiencies are more frequently seen in younger men who either may be exercising a lot or in older men who are having malnutrition.
- Lack of exercise can cause decreased levels of adrenaline and energy levels
- Not exercising for a long period of time causes muscles to become weaker, which can be easily fatigued
- A too little exercise can cause health problems that can reduce sexual desire and arousal
- On contrary, too much exercise can be a chief reason of fatigue in men
- Thus, achieving an optimum balance for energy levels is crucial
- Various studies have shown that adopting better lifestyle choices such as regular exercise and a healthy diet can help men restore their expected levels of sexual stamina, irrespective of age.
- Testosterone, the primary male sex hormone plays an important part in mental and physical energy levels
- Its levels decrease with advancing age in men
- Low testosterone levels are also known as male hypogonadism in the body can be a cause of low libido
- Other symptoms associated with low testosterone include irritability, erectile dysfunction, infertility, etc.
- However, it is evident that low testosterone does not always include a feeling of no sex drive as few men can maintain sexual desire at relatively low testosterone levels.
- Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and sleep deprivation or insomnia can cause fatigue
- Sleep apnea, more commonly found in men in contrast to women, especially in men who are overweight is a sleep disorder where a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep
- This can also lead to anxiety or depression and can affect men’s sex drive
- A study showed that nearly one-third of the men who had severe sleep apnea also had reduced levels of testosterone.
- It is a medical condition that affects a large population
- Men with depression may often feel tired and can lose interest in different areas of their life
- It is known to cause difficulty in sexual desire and performance
- In some men, it is associated with a decrease in testosterone levels
- This is turn imparts a negative effect on male libido resulting in decreased sexual stamina
- Medical professionals may recommend sex therapy may be provided to individuals who are suffering from depression as a result of other psychological problems
- However, it has been observed that men are reluctant to acknowledge, talk about, and seek treatment for depression than women.
- Medical conditions may not directly impact blood flow to the penis or hormonal levels, but can drain energy levels, causing reduced physical endurance during sex
- Few illnesses such as cancer is known to decrease sperm production counts
- Other chronic illnesses that can affect libido include type 2 diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, chronic lung, heart, kidney, and liver failure
- However, stamina levels of men suffering from the low sexual performance as a result of illness will most likely return to normal as their illness recedes.
- Drug abuse can result in several life-threatening medical problems
- Besides, it can also significantly influence sexual stamina levels
- According to the usage of a particular drug, men may experience vascular problems, a loss of energy, and abnormal hormonal fluctuations as a consequence of the habit.
- Mounting evidence suggests that men suffering from a lack of self-confidence are more likely to have sexual stamina issues than men who maintain a positive self-image
- Low self-esteem may cause anxiety about sexual performance, which can arise problems like erectile dysfunction and reduce sexual desire
- Thus, various sex therapists can guide these men to overcome their issues and enhance their levels of performance.
- Some medications can cause lowering of testosterone levels, which may result in low sexual stamina
- Blood pressure medications may prevent ejaculation and erections
- Other medications that can reduce testosterone levels include chemotherapy or radiation treatments for cancer, hormones used to treat prostate cancer, corticosteroids, opioid pain relievers, antifungal medication like ketoconazole, cimetidine which is used for heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), anabolic steroids, used by athletes to increase muscle mass, few antidepressants, etc.