- 1 Introduction to Shotgun Cleaning Kit
- 2 Conclusion
Introduction to Shotgun Cleaning Kit
Where better performance depends on the quality and durability of your gun, half of the performance depends solely on the maintenance of the gun. Things have been made so easy with advanced products that are specifically designed for the very purpose.
Nothing must shock you if your gun does not meet the expectations when it comes to performance as there must be a lot of grim and rust piling up inside your gun.
Better get it clean!
There are the best shotgun cleaning kits available in the market that offer ultimate cleaning inside and outside of the gun.
There are parts of the gun where you cannot reach, here comes a shotgun cleaning kit that gives you the freedom to reach the parts that need proper cleaning but are not reachable.
What will you find in a shotgun cleaning kit?
If you are purchasing your cleaning kit for the first time, you need to understand what makes any kit the best and what it must include in order to give the best performance. If you are keeping firearms, it would be unjust not to invest in the best shotgun cleaning kit.
Every kit comes with a few basic items that are used to do a thorough cleaning of a shotgun. Before making a purchase make sure the kit you are choosing offers the essentials.
- Solvent – the most important is to clean your weapon of all the lead, copper, powder fouling, and ammunition residue that keep piling up inside the barrel of the gun.
- Lubricating oil there is a light cleaning oil that prevents hardening of the moving parts. These oils are effective in eliminating the moisture. Oiling your weapon enhances the smoothness and life of your weapon.
- Cleaning rod – cleaning rod is a metallic or aluminum rod that made to clean the barrel which otherwise is not possible with bare hands. You have to use patches and oils along with the cleaning rods to remove any residue.
- Rod end accessories – these accessories include slotted patch holders or bronze brushes that can be attached to the end of the cleaning rod for better performance. Makes your cleaning easier with rod end accessories as they allow you to conveniently pull and push the brush or patch through the barrel for effective cleaning.
- Patches – these patches are mostly 100% cotton and come in different sizes to fit different barrel diameters effectively. These patches are soaked in solvent to remove fouling. These patches are also used to oil the barrel or moving parts of the gun.
The best shotgun cleaning kit comes with an instruction manual that helps in getting to know better how to use the kit for the best results.
So, it is not necessary to master the art of cleaning or have adequate knowledge. You can always get better with time.
Benefits of a shotgun cleaning kit
Most of the people think that a cleaning kit is not as effective as they are hyped until you get one and give it a go all by yourself, for instance;
- It helps in reducing the maintenance cost.
- Easy access to instant cleaning at any time.
- You do not have to pay extra for cleaning your weapons when you have access to the best shotgun cleaning kit.
- These kits offer efficient portability. You can carry them along with you wherever you go.
What to look for in a cleaning kit?
You will see a huge range of cleaning kits in the market, which claim to be the most effective when it comes to cleaning – but they do not turn out as expected all the time. The reason for the shortcomings can be variant, such as;
- Being not fully aware of your weapon.
- Having no adequate knowledge regarding how to clean a shotgun.
- Choosing the wrong cleaning kit.
What to look for?
Do not rush into buying the first kit you see. Take your time and make sure you are getting the kit that does not put you in trouble in a long run.
● Bore brush
Bore brushes come in all different sizes depending on the size of the barrel. Such as a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning kit will not be effective for other gauges as the barrel size varies and the brushes do not get into the barrel as they should.
There are 16, 20, 12, and 10ga in size. 12ga and 20ga fit a standard shotgun without causing any trouble – but choosing the one that is specifically designed for a particular size gives you the best performance.
● Bore Mops
These are the patches that are used to polish or shine the guns. These mops vary in size because of the size of the gun. Bigger mops offer convenient cleaning as compared to smaller ones.
● Cleaning rod
The diameter of shotguns is larger than rifles, which makes it easier to find cleaning rods that perfectly fit. Brass or steel rods are proved to be durable when it comes to long term use as they are sturdier than bronze cleaning rods. Besides the material, the size of the rod also plays an important role in getting to the end of the barrel.
For automatic shotguns, you may require better accessories and brushed as they are more complicated.
● Picks and punches
You may have an idea that the shotgun needs to be disassembled for cleaning that requires picks and punches. An efficient cleaning kit comes with variable sizes of picks as per the type of the kit and the gun you are using.
● Personal Preference
Getting the best performance out of any kit, it is important to understand your personal preference as they play an important role in determining the type, size of the gun, and accessories that come with a kit.
To make a generic choice, a standard size cleaning rod can go with a standard shotgun and even CenterPoint scopes and a few rifles, but we are talking efficiency here.
Know that an ineffective shotgun cleaning kit costs you your weapon. The dust and grim keep getting into your weapon makes it hard to function properly.
Spending time and effort on a good cleaning kit can save you a lot from maintenance cost to the performance of the weapon.
It is always better to be safe than sorry!