Introduction to Video on Demand or Live Streaming Platform
Content creators often find it hard to decide whether to publish their content in the form of live video streaming or video on demand.
Both of these are quite popular and can potentially attract a large audience base. This is why content creators tend to compare these two and find the best option. Let us explore how these two differ from each other.
What is live video streaming?
The term streaming has become quite common, along with the practice of streaming movies and other video content online.
Streaming videos basically refers to watching the video content online, while it gets transmitted over the internet. The movie streaming portals and websites are probably the most common examples of video streaming.
So, what exactly is ‘live video streaming’? As the word ‘live’ hints, this refers to real-time streaming. This means that the content is being transmitted and viewed while it gets created.
It wouldn’t be pre-recorded and playable anytime. Rather, the viewers would have to watch it in real-time, while it takes place. Gaming live streams are one of the most common examples of live video streaming.
What is a video on demand?
Abbreviated as VOD, video on demand refers to pre-recorded videos which can be played anytime. As the name suggests, VOD content can be played on-demand, i.e., as and when the viewers want to.
Watching VOD content is quite an old and popular practice. OTT is quite a common example of VOD services. YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu are some of the examples of VOD platforms.
Advantages of live video streaming
Live streaming does offer a number of advantages, which makes it such a popular choice. Some of them are:
- Time-effective: Live streaming does not involve any post-production as the content is published in real-time. This saves a lot of time for the content creators as they would only have to care about the pre-production at most. This enables quick publication of the content.
- Genuine interaction: While the viewers of VOD content can interact and provide their feedback, it is much different from the real-time interaction which takes place during live streaming. Moreover, the content creators on a live streaming platform can interact with their audience freely as well. These add a feeling of genuineness to the produced content.
- Customization: While VOD content cannot be edited once published, it is possible for the live streamers to change the way they present their content while the show is still on. This enables them to cater to their viewers by customizing their content according to what the viewers want. It is possible due to the real-time feedback they receive from the viewers.
- Affordable: It is quite easy and affordable to produce content on a live streaming platform these days. In most cases, a stable internet connection, a microphone, and a laptop, PC, or even a smartphone are all you need. Of course, the better your equipment, the higher would be the quality of the content. But as the requirements are small, even small businesses and content creators without a large budget can live stream.
Further visit: 3 Best Gear For live Stream Video Games
Advantages of VOD
VOD too carries its own benefits and is better than live streaming in certain domains. Let us explore these:
- Post-production and editing: It is possible to edit your VOD content and carry out post-production activities. In case if you make a mistake while creating the video, you can always shoot it again or edit it as needed. A number of tools that are popular among the VOD content creators can’t even be used in case of live streaming. For instance, it is possible to create and add subtitles to a video when it is pre-recorded and then uploaded.
- Convenience: Unlike live video streaming, VOD content can be viewed anytime. This is one of the key reasons behind the widespread popularity of VOD services. For example, a person who is usually busy with work can watch his/her favorite movies on an OTT platform at any convenient time, rather than missing out on the show entirely due to work.
- Connectivity: One might have trouble watching a live stream if the internet connection isn’t great. However, VOD content can be played at any internet speed, and is usually available in various qualities. Most types of VOD content can be watched on a variety of smart devices, including TVs, smartphones, PCs, etc.
Of course, both of these platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages. While a live streaming platform wouldn’t offer you the opportunity to edit the content, VOD wouldn’t deliver the same level of interaction.
Both types of content can be monetized if necessary. For businesses or individual content creators, it is best to embrace both platforms.
You could either Livestream some content and upload the rest on a VOD platform, or record the live content and later publish it as a video that can be watched an unlimited number of times.