Traceability of requirement to test cases to code to test script ensures that each requirement which does not have a single focus in the code(Kind of performance related test cases).Tracking down such kind of requirement is best suited when tested pre production with proper tools or in production.
So mostly requirement tracking goes wrong due to misunderstanding or miscommunication. They can easily be rectified through frequent and open feedback between members of the extended team(Including subject matter experts).
Finally, requirements must be tested and testing is the only reliable way to know if a requirement was actually satisfied.Every requirement should have one or more tests to cover. There should not be any test exists that did not derived from requirements(unless we have made an explicit decision that the testcase and requirement are one and the same).
Know the Expectation-Top challenges in Testing
Often it is seen, that the teams use their guidelines setup by the present company or use their own methodology to cope with with the testing tasks. This is an factor for Challenges in Testing.Testers often don’t know
- The big picture
- The customer
- The customers of the customers
- Expectation of the customer
Due to shorter time available to testing team they so all shorts of shortcuts to catch up the delivery date. These methods works fit for all project scenarios. But they fail to deliver in the specific project.It contributes to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve this?
- Know the expectation and end user requirements. These will help us to deliver a smooth and speedy delivery.
- Know why this part of the software is getting developed.
- Understand the big picture where and when this piece needs to be pushed.
- Think from end user perspective.
- Try to add more creativity in terms of innovations that suits the testing process.
- Thinking out of the box often creates more satisfied customer.
- Follow market trends in order to catch more bugs.
- Upgrade testing process if required.
Report a misleading tool-Top challenges in Testing
This is a major factor for Challenges in Testing.We choose to make report fabricated or created from the actual outcome. The masked report provides a false happiness to the stakeholders but puts more burden on testing team.
I have seen this type of report masking behavior in automation resulting Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- Try to provide actual report and be prepare for a firefight.
- Prepare several matrices like bug found,bug fixed,open issues, project health etc.
- Use Jenkins or any other CD-CT-CI tools report as a proof.
- Do not mask report. Instead track all failures as a bug.
- A working demo at a regular interval will surely boost stakeholder’s confidence.
Lack of Resources or Experienced Resources-Top challenges in Testing
This is very common in the testing industry today.When it is ideal to have experienced resources to carry forward testing,in reality we get more inexperienced, freshers for the testing. These inexperienced resources create more noise in testing than bug identification or delivery . Lack of education in the testing area is the prime concern for Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to resolve?
- We need to create required matrices like knowledge obtained,knowledge needed etc for the test engineers. Then create a proper plan to upgrade testers.
- We have to bring everybody on the same page by creating FAQ pages for the process,people,customer,business etc.
- We need to use a balanced approach while distributing the team. A team should be a mixture of experienced and fresh. You can use a ration of 1:3.
- We need to create backup plans for everybody.
- And we need to create mentor ship program to bring a new resource up to the speed.
- We need to bring dynamic load balancing while testing work is in progress.
Lack of starter kit-Top challenges in Testing
When a new resource joins a project, the person looses huge time in background verification checks,access related issues or other pre on-board details. It is directly related to productivity loss,impacts billing and finally impacts the delivery timeline. yes, it is also an important aspect in Challenges in Testing as well as Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to Solve?
Prepare a starter kit may be a documentation that provides the FAQ,step by step guides to get all the things a tester needs to settle down and start testing. From my experience I have seen that having a starter kit reduces resource deployment time by 50%.
Lack of Mentor-ship and pep talk-Top challenges in Testing
Ego plays a major role affecting the team bonding. As a lead or manager we often neglect to talk to the resource who is actually working(actually earning). It is seen from my experience while boosting moral by mentoring resources and providing pep talk, resource felt values.
They produce better result. We need to understand they are the one who earn money for us. Hence the best way to omit ego is to provide importance to the team. Unfortunately, it is not there in most of the teams.
It contributes to Automated Testing challenges(DevOps Testing issues or Software Testing challenges).
How to solve this?
- We need to create an open and friendly environment inside the team.
- Then we need to motivate ,encourage and provide responsibilities to that resources so that they can grow more.
- And also need to provide constructive criticism and development plans along with achievable goals to the individuals.
- Reward and recognize the deserved one.
Procedures of a Company
No proper plan in place-Top challenges in Testing
Often we see the management take reference from an old plan to save time while creating a new plan for the new customer. As a result the new plan contains lots of outdated topics that needs to be covered. These topics are unnecessary and create lots of noise during delivery and through out the testing process.