|What is an Automation Framework All About??|
We frequently hear the term framework in automation testing arena. We being automation testers need to understand what is an automation test framework? This post will cover framework in automation in details.
The idea behind the framework
Do not repeat yourself should be the main objective of BPT automation. Be it be script design, be it be a lesson. lessons are not learned always so well. this triggers more failures than automation scripts.
We need to have a killer instinct in terms of completing the task. Engineering works always under a heavy workload. Hence what is postponed today thinking we will complete that soon, that soon will never appear. Sad but true.
Automation is always complex and technical, hence it is always better to plan and prepare for it. Hence a bunch of non trained automation engineers will likely to take a longer period to deliver test code.
Script based mostly test automation equipment have been all around given that early 1990′. In truth Visual Exam 1. from Microsoft was introduced in 1992. And several of the applications we have now – have their genesis of that period. Correct from QTP, Rational Purposeful Tester, Winrunner, and lots of others leverage styles of frameworks to automate GUI testing.
These frameworks in the last two a long time have an elementone drastic transform. They have evolved in the pursuit to make take a look at automation much better. They have matured to reduce the upkeep overhead, provide really tested and trusted check scripts, and present simpler strategies to acquire check automation. In this short article we will restrict our scope to these frameworks and revisit why they filed into oblivion.
More Myths about Automation
Before we go ahead and discuss more automation framework, let us understand a few concepts about automation testing.
Lets us talk about a few myths first about automation testing.
- Test Automation is very easy and anybody can implement a test automation strategy. Anybody can develop a script. Well, this myth is developed by the salesperson of the company to make sure their tool gets sold out. While demoing their tool, they always follow the record playback strategy. just record a simple flow, enhance by using test data concept, run the script shows the result. With this sales technique, we started feeling that anybody can script. But the reality is completely different. Automation is not all about record and playback. It needs to be designed, then developed and tested. Definitely, test engineer needs to be from some programming language background or they need to learn languages, at least the basics. Automation development is not as complex as application development but these source codes must be saved as application source code.
- Tool design is better than evaluate tools. Mainly this concept came from the expensive tools available in the market. Test engineers or organization try to avoid the license cost of such a tool. They prefer to build their own tool. Or try to use free scripting or languages like VBA, macro, Perl, Ruby to design test. These things can be considered a lean approach. But not Automation.
- But the fact is when you use a proper tool to automate the productivity will be higher which is significantly less than the license cost. Using other technique can be considered as research and development but not proper automation.
With a proper test tool with the license will give automation test engineer more command over the QA arena. Let us see how?
- Most advanced tools will have a proper encapsulation of programming. So less advanced coding required here.
- More the mature tool more great customer care. But the opensource tool will have less or no customer support.
- Advanced tools will get a constant update about technologies.
- Huge support base including different forums.
- Readily available framework and integration with other technologies.
- The advance tool will have more functionalities in different technologies covered.
The Evolution of Test Automation Frameworks
Script dependent exam automation equipment has been about given that early 1990s. In simple fact, Visible Check 1. from Microsoft was produced in 1992. And lots of-of the tools we have now – have their genesis of that era. Proper from QTP, Rational Functional Tester, Winrunner, and lots of other folks leverage sorts of frameworks to automate GUI screening.
These frameworks in the past two a long time have undergone drastic alter. They have advanced in the pursuit to make check automation greater. They have matured to reduce the upkeep overhead, give remarkably tested and reputable examination scripts, and supply simpler approaches to establish test automation. In this article, we will limit our scope to these frameworks and revisit why they light into oblivion.
File and Playback:
Even nevertheless this includes possibly no or nominal code composing, manageability of automation code will make Record/Playback only viable on a modest scale. The basic challenge of this method is virtually the difficulty of scale. If we want an additional automated test, we will document one more script which sooner or later success in two scripts to be maintained as the AUT’s interface has improved with time.
The more assessments we document, a lot more automation code requirements to be managed – which will become too much of a load on tests funds. In report and playback, every single automatic check situation is a sequence of steps with taking a look at data tough coded into it. This, for starters, is not a good technique as per the computer software engineering concepts. Next, payback in automation starts off when we playback the exact automation to take a look at the subsequent versions of the software.
But, in this strategy, every test is operating once for every launch and is not used regularly to improve the test protection. Thus, to deal with this sort of automation code makes this technique impractical for substantial scale automation. For that reason, it is only because of to the expense of servicing, exam automation has moved previous History and Playback.
In comparison to Record and Playback, Data Driven framework addresses two main ache details: maintainability and check coverage. Examination details are saved in a different file which is read through by the script to be utilized as entering to AUT.